Wood identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunts777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps I have acquired a very large I think it was a lintel lump of timber just wondering if you clever people can identify it for me please? Thanks Lee.
15db90bbb8a858f8a17317eef681e257.jpg
fbbde8272acca241ef204f21f1db64a8.jpg
2efa2bbfe887c76cd1c61df227772d2d.jpg
a274c0e0efd326db5fbc1703db57fac9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not so hot on softwoods but would hazard to say Douglas fir with a nice creosote finish ie sleeper.

Chrispy":3d11ygmh said:
Not so hot on softwoods but would hazard to say Douglas fir with a nice creosote finish ie sleeper.

It's just over 3 meters long by 30,by 23 if this helps at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A slow grown softwood. The tightness of the ring would imply it was grown in a cold country, and /or is a slow growing species.

Impossible to tell which softwood, maybe doug fir, larch, pine etc.

A boxed heart beam

RobinBHM":26vfz8s3 said:
A slow grown softwood. The tightness of the ring would imply it was grown in a cold country, and /or is a slow growing species.

Impossible to tell which softwood, maybe doug fir, larch, pine etc.

A boxed heart beam

A boxed heart beam ???

Boxed heart just means that it has been cut around the centre of the tree in a balanced way, in practice the saw Mill has cut off the good clear outer wood to produce good grade boards and left the early growth with all its knots to be used as construction timber.

A good quality pine or maybe D. Fir, I'd think. The first photo should be required viewing for everyone who thinks they can cut and season their own timber - if you leave the heart in, you get cracks like that. That is why people advise to cut the logs in half when felled.

It also shows well why if reusing you should treat cut ends of timber treated with preservative - see how shallow the absorption is.

phil.p":1bk3b0xq said:
A good quality pine or maybe D. Fir, I'd think. The first photo should be required viewing for everyone who thinks they can cut and season their own timber - if you leave the heart in, you get cracks like that. That is why people advise to cut the logs in half when felled.

It also shows well why if reusing you should treat cut ends of timber treated with preservative - see how shallow the absorption is.

So it's not really much use for anything???

Certainly a useful piece of timber and at roughly 7.3 cubic feet of timber some lump!

The issue you will have is working with it, unless you just want to look at it in its current state then you will need to figure out a way of cutting it. A large band resaw would plank this in minutes.

Maybe approach a local timber yard, but be prepared for rejection as they may have reservations due to the likely hood of metal in it.

Addidat

3 metres would make four five foot lintels (or two ten foot ones, obviously). Stick it in the local paper for £n? Have you any architectural salvage yards around you? You might get something for it. As above you'll be lucky to find anyone to saw it because of the likelihood of screwing an expensive blade. if I had it and I had space I'd just put it away and wait for the use to arise. :D

Cant really tell from the cross section, but my immediate reaction was pitch pine (Pinus strobus?) which was used extensively for beams and for finer work in Victorian times. It has that stark contrast between summer and winter growth. Also smells gorgeous when being worked. Used a lot for repairing/upgrading daughter's house in Lancashire a couple of decades back.

dickm":v4ior6f5 said:
True, but has it actually been TREATED, or is that just discolouration from water ingress? (I don't know!)

It's has been treated I think it smells like creosote.

Back