Identification of woods on cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicmels

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently purchased a cabinet at auction described as oak, upon picking it up only some of it I can identify as oak, I would appreciate any thoughts on this please.

Attachments

• P1180656.JPG
    P1180656.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • P1180659.JPG
    P1180659.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • P1180658.JPG
    P1180658.JPG
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes, depends if its rift or quarter sawn, where the tree grew & how fast, what soil, fungal attack, It varies a lot.

Hi all, I recently purchased a cabinet at auction described as oak, upon picking it up only some of it I can identify as oak, I would appreciate any thoughts on this please.
Oak for me as well, one panel could be from a very big tree and is more quarter sawn that's giving you cross section of medullary rays. Think the struts are pine looking. Pretty wood. You can smell oak if you sand it you can test for tannin with ebonising a small unseen bit. Should go black almost instantly if it's oak. Big faff though its oak haa

All the components of the doors have medullary rays. All oak in my opinion.
Fred

Hi Colin
I've just checked on 'The Wood Database' and there are no medullary rays shown on an end grain section of chestnut.
I'm just wondering why you believe that it could be chestnut.
I'm hoping to learn something here
Fred

The idea of Chestnut is based upon my limited experience of post war utility furniture. It was used as an alternative to oak as it was cheaper. I'd always thought of it looking similar to oak, but rather blotchy or woolly in appearance, slightly larger in grain. I think it is softer, possibly as a result of quicker growing. Would this make it patchy in appearance as it could absorb finishes unevenly?

Colin

Hi Colin
I have used chestnut many years ago when making partners desks for a company in Liverpool. We used it instead of oak for the drawer sides backs and bottoms. It was lighter and much easier to work than oak, and cheaper. The French publishers did stain the chestnut and it looked good.
Fred

This is much later and I believe quite modern, I've take the adjustable shelf brackets out because i'm a total hater, here is a photo of one of them, I also believe it must be something other than oak in places because it's incredibly soft on the darker pieces of wood, like on the door frame unless some oak's are soft? For example, I purchased some beautiful seasoned oak for a garden bench and that was a nightmare to put screws into, so I have some idea of the hardness. I'll take some more macro photos.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi all, Thank you for bearing with me, I've taken these hi res photos, I hope the shed light better than the previous ones, I appreciate the help.

Attachments

• Additional photos (1).JPG
    Additional photos (1).JPG
    1,011 KB · Views: 0
  • Additional photos (2).JPG
    Additional photos (2).JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Additional photos (3).JPG
    Additional photos (3).JPG
  • Additional photos (4).JPG
    Additional photos (4).JPG
  • Additional photos (5).JPG
    Additional photos (5).JPG
  • Additional photos (6).JPG
    Additional photos (6).JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Additional photos (7).JPG
    Additional photos (7).JPG
What is it you are trying to establish? and does it matter, its scoring high on the Oak option.

What is it you are trying to establish? and does it matter, its scoring high on the Oak option.
I've never had a piece of furniture with so many different colours of the same wood, I've purchased blind other items in the recent past described as such and when I receive them they're far eastern copies of antiques and or Arts & crafts and it's becoming a bit of a joke, sadly I can't always have a close look at anything if it's a fair distance away however, there are a lot of even professionals who shall dupe you and sell you trash for a premium. That's why.

Your original photos, as @Sgian Dubh wrote is tiger oak on its way to Brown oak.
Your latest images show the the tiger oak in places have been glued to plain grained oak.I
Fred

Back