Varnishing water damaged wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nkp90

Reaction score
Hi all just wanted to ask what the process would be to bring these cabinets back up?

The water damaged pieces would I need to sand down evenly all round and then apply or can I apply on top as is..

The slightly faded cabinets can I just apply straight on?

Basically I'm looking to sell the house soo minimal expense, just needs to look okay for a while

Attachments

• 20240121_154314.jpg
    20240121_154314.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240121_154316.jpg
    20240121_154316.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
Hello and welcome, whatever you leave and varnish over you will see through the varnish. Hard to tell from pictures but what are the cabinets made of ( real wood, melamine, etc) this tbh will dictate what finish you can apply to them ( if any)

Ah I see, I'll try sand down the damaged/ discoloured edges I believe those bottom parts handles are real wood, the boards / panels are mdf / chipboard

You maybe able to simply clean up any melamine surfaces with a domestic cleaner like mr muscle , elbow grease etc- just try it in an out of site area 1st .if not then you could try painting them with a multi surface paint..

What Colour would you say this is deep mahogany or rosewood?..

Attachments

• 20240121_154507.jpg
    20240121_154507.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Difficult to say from the photo but my money would be on not be on mahogany, is it real wood? Sand a little back on an inside face of a small door . See what you have , it sort of looks like that ( imo ) awful ronseal paint and grain..

😅 Thanks this kitchen was fitted back in the late 90s so is a bit out of date, but just a little tidy up to help it along, I'll have a look I tried some old walnut varnish but it's too dark so I'll have a look at mahogany and yes the handles are real wood

As it’s real wood a sand down and a clear satin or mat varnish could also work.. I’d also use masking tape to cover/ protect the plain parts of the door . It’s a pain but having ruined hours of work once I’d remove the tape as soon as you have finished varnishing/ staining. Don’t let the varnish dry over the tape 😫😫😭😭

Back