Oak furniture sun damage protection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar43634

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

A friend has a bunch of oak furniture that has deteriorated/faded from sun damage (just the coffee table so far), he's asked me to re-apply finish and add some protection but I'm a little uncertain where to start.
I've added some photos that he has sent, seems like there are different finishes on each item and no idea what they are. Ideally I would like to just apply something on top and be done with it but I'm guessing it all needs to be sanded back with a new finish applied?

Any tips much appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• oak1.jpeg
    oak1.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
  • oak2.jpeg
    oak2.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
  • oak3.jpeg
    oak3.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 0
  • oak4.jpeg
    oak4.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 0
  • oak5.jpeg
    oak5.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
In the last two pics I see oak veneer which has lifted in several places. You need to glue all the lifted bits down flat, flatten and re-secure any bubbles, etc, until the surface is completely flat. Not an easy task!

Then sand very, very lightly to avoid going through the veneer, then apply your finish of choice.

There are lots of ways to slip up and ruin it, I'd be tempted to have second thoughts!

It did appear to be a veneer to me too but thought I'd wait for someone with more experience to chime in.

Your friend needs to draw the curtains or change out the glass in the windows for the coated type that blocks the UV light. That will greatly reduce the damage to the wood but eventually it will happen anyway. To my knowledge there is no finish that will stand up to the sun unless it is so opaque or is a paint such that you can't see the wood anymore. The sunlight goes through the finish to damage the wood below. It is the reason museum galleries don't display in rooms with windows. I'd be delighted to sit corrected if there is a transparent finish that blocks UV light.

Pete

It did appear to be a veneer to me too but thought I'd wait for someone with more experience to chime in.
Oak? Just a very thin veneer. Sanding could go though it.
It's junk furniture - I'd say live with it or paint it.
Formica on the top surfaces perhaps?

He concedes the coffee table was rather cheap, surprised it was John Lewis though. I'll have a go at repairing failing that maybe make him a new table (in which case I'll be back with more questions).

The Wood Veneer Hub do peel and stick Oak veneer which could be an option.

You may be able to wipe pva under the lifted sections, cover with a sheet of paper and iron it on a low heat until flat and stuck.

Solid oak furniture I've made, finished with Danish oil - some of it ten or fifteen years old now - has just mellowed in colour. No signs of fading at all.

Back