Wood identification - oak or elm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
At first I thought this was oak but now I think elm. Any ideas?

DSCF7756.jpg

DSCF7755.jpg

DSCF7754.jpg

DSCF7750.jpg

DSCF7749.jpg

Very difficult to say through all the patina. It's a close call, but I'd say elm. If you could have a look on the underside where it's not been polished you might get a better idea - Rob

Hi Rob,

Normally I wouldn't comment on such a thread, as I don't consider myself expert enough, but having compared some Oak and Elm just recently for a job, I would say it is almost certainly Elm.

Froggy.

Elm? Look at the figure if there is any, its kind of dappled on elm and called a partridge figure, or is it quail? Grouse?… well something you can shoot anyway. Also I don't think elm has very pronounced medullary rays like oak

Elm

But it also could be Ash.

There appears to be the darker brown stripe and lighter edge to the boards which you do get with Ash.

Tom

I don't think its Elm, I have been lucky enough to get my hands on 1 m/3 so i will have a look at it closer.

Don't think it's elm. The differences in density between the growth rings is bigger than I'd expect, and it doesn't have that "partridge feather" fine patterning that elm usually shows. I'd go with ash.

Back