Wood identification: is this teak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdK

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend dropped off some old boards from his yard for me to clean up. He thinks it's teak but I'm not sure.
They've been out in the weather for years and looked pretty bad but I ran them through the planer (with old blades) and ripped off the grooves from the side (not tongue and groove but groove and groove).

Anyway, he said that there is a stack more of this stuff that I am welcome to so if it's teak then I think I'll grab a few boards!

mystery-wood-01.jpg

mystery-wood-02.jpg

mystery-wood-03.jpg

mystery-wood-04.jpg

I'm like a moth to a flame with free wood! But I have a stack load of wood and up to my ears in projects... (but yeah I will grab some). If not teak then what could it be?

Trying to identify timber from photos is little more than guesswork, you often get better clues from the context rather than the actual photos. You're in Guernsey, it's a fair bet that boat building will have resulted in plenty of Teak going to the island, so maybe it is the real thing. Plus it seems to have that yellow cast that many of the Teak substitutes like Iroko don't have. Here's Teak in-between two boards of Iroko,

TeakIroko-Sawn.jpg

Attachments

• TeakIroko-Sawn.jpg
    TeakIroko-Sawn.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 131
I have one large teak plank that was originally a stair tread in a large prestigeous london building of 1960's age.
My plank looks closer to walnut in colour, but has a beautiful creaminess and slight yellow tinge as custard describes.

Only going on the colours on my screen (which is 10 years old and very well used) but it does not look even close to my teak plank.

The pronounced orange colour & heavily interlocking surface checking on at least one bit are a dead give away for Opepe, it is commonly used in sea defences & groynes, Also used for heavy boat keels. It is durable, rock hard, heavy & blunts saw & plane blades quickly. Opepe is very different stuff to Teak.

Beau":2dmt0qw4 said:
No. Looks like Keruing to these eyes

If its Keruing, then shortly it will start to bleed out small balls of sap, hard enough to be knocked off with the back of a chisel.
Very weather resistant, used on lorry bodies, as bearers under the lorry bed.

Bod

Could be.

Weathered teak goes kind of silvery so that might be a clue but as Custard says it's difficult to tell from a photo.

As has been said on here... Free wood! It looks tidy enough. I'm sure there is plenty you can do with it.

Back