Wood ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz8521

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,can anybody help with the ID of this log.I've been told the tree it came from used have white flowers on it in the summer so I was thinking it could be cherry but what do you think?

nahhh

Not any Cherry I've ever seen, a couple of piccy's further on in your photobucket file is Cherry, not this one. Looks like Silver Birch to me, I think someone was mistaken about the flowers ?

Chris.

Last time i saw bark like that it was on some Willow i had.
I thought Silver Birch was a smoother silvery coloured bark :?

My vote's for silver birch too. The bark often gets like that on older trees.

The rough bark doesn't seem even enough for willow and it looks very like there's still 'silver' areas.

Silver Birch. That's been quite an old tree from the looks of the bark. Many died during 76 in the drought due to their shallow root system.

white flowers eh! could be either crataegus monogyna or Amelanchier, although it looks like neither of them to me, it looks rather like oak bark to me.

Well,that must be the most conclusive vote we've ever had for a wood I.D. - silver birch,6 points,et le Luxembourg,nil points :lol:

Andrew

Thanks chaps looks like siver birch and yes It must be an old tree. the logs i got were the smaller ones in the pile so i think i'll be going back to get some more.Never turned siver birch before Whats it like and will it spalt if i leave it a while.thanks

been back and had another look, more closely this time, the white parts give it away really, i thought it was snow on the bark :roll:

Definately sliver birch, spalts quite readily, haven't tried turning any from my stash yet so don't know what it's like to work with........

Cheers, Paul :D

I've found it rather Bland, and somewhat soft fibrous texture to turn, can discolour with grey stains similar to sycamore if not dried quickly.

Turns quite nicely,but as Chas said,can be a bit soft.Spalts quite well,but being on the softer side to start with,may need a bit of care if left to go too far.

This was silver birch
Picture033Small.jpg

as was this
Picture081Small.jpg

to give you some idea of the spalting you can get.

Andrew

Back