• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Wood ID - plum, damson?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
both plum and damson are attractive timbers. I would get raiding.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
From the bark, it looks more like a cherry than a plum/damson. The two damson trees I have in my garden have a different bark, and many spikes (look like very small, straight branchlets) coming from both branches and trunk. And from what I can remember, the plum trees look like they have a different bark also.
Having said that, it looks like rather nicely coloured, so raid the pile anyway :)

Adam

Neil Farrer

Established Member
Reaction score
Cherry!

Plum/Damson Plum doesn't have the horizontal lenticels that are shown on the bark.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly Cherry but what the heck it looks a nice bit of wood I would definitely raid his wood pile

12345Peter

Established Member
Reaction score
nev":1a1p13vr said:
Neighbour thinks there was plum type fruit on this tree - is it plum or damson?
and should i raid his firewood pile? :twisted:
The bark and colouring look exactly the same as the cherry I have just acquired.

Regards

dickm

Established Member
Reaction score
FWIW, plums, cherries, damsons and hawthorn are all different species of Prunus, and they hybridise pretty promiscuously, so it's difficult to be categorical about identification. But as others have said, those horizontal lenticels are more often found in the cherry end of the family. The great thing is that most of the different species make excellent, dense, turning timber, often with interesting colouring. Well worth a raid, but from experience, they can all be devils to season.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
dickm":3w3w4z13 said:
FWIW, , but from experience, they can all be devils to season.
Turn it wet and you will be in for a real treat with shavings flying over your shoulder I have added a few pic's of cherry turned wet hope you dont mind

Attachments

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
At least as far as flowering Cherry goes, it smells really strongly of Cherries or Cherry pie, dunno about the fruiting variety, but I was recently given some small logs very similar to these but with no distinct smell and my first thought was Plum too, plus the flowering cherry has colour that extends through the sapwood some as well and the heartwood isn't so distinctly defined (at least, the half dozen trees I have felled fit this description anyway) So unless there is indeed a difference between flowering and fruiting Cherry I would say it is something else.

dickm

Established Member
Reaction score
phil.p":1kp7q532 said:
Hawthorn is of the genus crataegus, not prunus.
Ooops. Meant to say BLACKthorn. Prunus spinosa.

Moral - read posts carefully before hitting "submit"