Wood ID - plum, damson?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Neighbour thinks there was plum type fruit on this tree - is it plum or damson?
and should i raid his firewood pile? :twisted:

plumDSC00263.jpg

plumDSC00264.jpg

plumDSC00266.jpg

plumDSC00269.jpg

Attachments

• plumDSC00263.jpg
    plumDSC00263.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,458
  • plumDSC00264.jpg
    plumDSC00264.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,472
  • plumDSC00266.jpg
    plumDSC00266.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,458
  • plumDSC00269.jpg
    plumDSC00269.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,478
both plum and damson are attractive timbers. I would get raiding.

From the bark, it looks more like a cherry than a plum/damson. The two damson trees I have in my garden have a different bark, and many spikes (look like very small, straight branchlets) coming from both branches and trunk. And from what I can remember, the plum trees look like they have a different bark also.
Having said that, it looks like rather nicely coloured, so raid the pile anyway :)

Adam

nev":1a1p13vr said:
Neighbour thinks there was plum type fruit on this tree - is it plum or damson?
and should i raid his firewood pile? :twisted:

The bark and colouring look exactly the same as the cherry I have just acquired.

Regards

FWIW, plums, cherries, damsons and hawthorn are all different species of Prunus, and they hybridise pretty promiscuously, so it's difficult to be categorical about identification. But as others have said, those horizontal lenticels are more often found in the cherry end of the family. The great thing is that most of the different species make excellent, dense, turning timber, often with interesting colouring. Well worth a raid, but from experience, they can all be devils to season.

dickm":3w3w4z13 said:
FWIW, , but from experience, they can all be devils to season.

Turn it wet and you will be in for a real treat with shavings flying over your shoulder I have added a few pic's of cherry turned wet hope you dont mind

Attachments

• 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 2,269
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 2,268
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 2,268
At least as far as flowering Cherry goes, it smells really strongly of Cherries or Cherry pie, dunno about the fruiting variety, but I was recently given some small logs very similar to these but with no distinct smell and my first thought was Plum too, plus the flowering cherry has colour that extends through the sapwood some as well and the heartwood isn't so distinctly defined (at least, the half dozen trees I have felled fit this description anyway) So unless there is indeed a difference between flowering and fruiting Cherry I would say it is something else.

Back