Wood for exterior utility door?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning All,

My neighbour has asked for help with making a replacement side door for his garage. Curerently he's using an old fire door but it's on its last legs. My first thoughts were to make the replacement as a framed, ledged and braced door.

My neighbour intended to use ready-treated timber, but in my experience that stuff is pretty horrible to work with. I was thinking of using something like redwood that's been oiled / painted with linseed oil paint. Especially for the frame and ledges; I don't mind using treated timber for the matchboarding as it only has to be sawn to length and nailed on.

Any thoughts please? Any special precautions or allowances I should make?

Thanks in advance

Yes, use Redwood. It is one of the best choices for garage doors because it reduces the risk of warping from heat or water.
You could also use cedar - its quite resistant to moisture, rot, decay.

How about acetylated wood? Not sure how the cost stacks up but any up-front higher cost can be offset by the no/minimal maintenance – if I'm remembering correctly no treatment needed whatsoever over a 50-year lifespan above ground (covered by warranty).

Thanks chaps.

I had to g**gle acetylated wood. So that's the Accoya that everyone's been going on about? I might do some research on that, as there's a supplier near here. What's it like to work with, particularly with hand tools?

If we go on the assumption that I'm using redwood (I'm not the one paying for it), any special precautions I should take?

Bear in mind with Accoya if you are going for a clear finish you may need to saw/plane up to 6mm off, as it may show sticker and staining marks, It does work OK with standard tooling, but I do find end grain flaky.

But its expensive, from my retail price list, +£1700.00M3.

I would use Joinery grade Redwood, for a frame, and perhaps buy in some 22mm T&G floor boards to make the door, with good prep and paints would be fine, alternatively, plenty of cheap ready made doors about, Its all down to budget.

Accoya is workable with hand tools. however you might get some tearout if you are using hand planes so a good going over with a sander might be necessary.
Also pricey. The place i go to is the same M3 cost as their joinery grade oak.
Think the warranty only applies if you have had official accoya training.

Redwood is safe and inexpensive. As long as the finish done well and is maintained it should last fine.

Thanks chaps, redwood it is.

Any special precautions? I was thinking of partially oiling / painting the insides of the joints in case any water gets in. I'm sure in days of old, they used to "glue" the joints using paint instead for the same reason? In any case I'll be pegging the M&T joints.

Latest posts

Back