Wood burning stove for the workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like a wood burner for our next house, but for the workshop ive got a diesel space heater, running on heating oil it can burn 10 litres in about 3 to 4 hours.... but it only has to run for maybe 20 minutes at a time to heat up the workshop for a bit

So true . When I built our house - 2400 sq ft to heat I was going to put the largest stove in. Store told me put the smallest in. I went with the medium size as I thought the wee one would look funny in the large space. Wow was I wrong in the winter minus 30 had to open windows it was to hot even damped down.
I just don't put as much in a leave it on low.

Couple of split logs with coal in the middle will last half a day and be ready to top up.

Also means you don't have to cut the logs so small!

So true . When I built our house - 2400 sq ft to heat I was going to put the largest stove in. Store told me put the smallest in. I went with the medium size as I thought the wee one would look funny in the large space. Wow was I wrong in the winter minus 30 had to open windows it was to hot even damped down.
It's not the stove it's the size of the fire within.
Having fiddled with a lot of stoves over the years my theory is that a big stove running a small but efficient hot fire is best. And the small stuff burns best - nothing over 2" thick.

It's not the stove it's the size of the fire within.
Having fiddled with a lot of stoves over the years my theory is that a big stove running a small but efficient hot fire is best. And the small stuff burns best - nothing over 2" thick.
well we will have to agree to disagree. you would be surprised how many people oversize there fireplace when they purchase. remember most people fill a wood stove dampen it down to where they need and then leave. they certainly don't have time to sit there and build little fires and redo each time they go out. unless they are old and retired with nothing better to do in life.

well we will have to agree to disagree. you would be surprised how many people oversize there fireplace when they purchase. remember most people fill a wood stove dampen it down to where they need and then leave. they certainly don't have time to sit there and build little fires and redo each time they go out. unless they are old and retired with nothing better to do in life.
Well yes but its a trade off. Fast burning is more efficient and controllable but you have to be around to do it. Does have the advantage of heating up very quickly.
The Russian solution is the large thermal mass masonry stove with small fast fire - for cooking whilst it's burning but thermal mass emitting heat after the stove has gone out or been damped down.
https://www.learnrussianineu.com/russian-stove-and-its-origin

I've just installed a diesel fuelled heater in my workshop and it's absolutely marvellous. The combustion is totally sealed from the working space so there's no smell, no fumes and no moisture.
It's a variable output between about 1.5kW to 5kW has a thermostat and manual controls. They were originally designed for caravans, boats, lorry cabs and have decades of development behind them.

It costs about 9p/kWh to run on red diesel, burns really clean and can get my workshop up to temp within 20mins. I then typically turn it off as it keeps warm with activity, the lights, sun and insulation.

The whole kit was £90 plus about £15 for the 12V power supply and £10 for the ducting vent.

There is a lively community of owners and brilliant set of Youtube videos by https://www.youtube.com/user/johnmck1147 explaining how they work and things to look out for.

Be careful with the 12v supply as initial current draw is approx 12-15 amps for the first few minutes and don't switch the power off until the heater has shut off as it has a cooling down time 2-3 minutes.

Hi Furnace
Since starting this thread I have been converted to thinking about a diesel heater instead of a woodburner. The persuading factors are initial cost, less space taken up with installation, more neighbour friendly and generating heat just when I need it. The downside is losing the ability to burn workshop waste (for free) and the pleasure of sitting in front of a proper fire.
You seem to have got yours for a very good price and the running costs are good. Is yours the 5 kw 12 volt version and if so are you able to point me towards a supplier? What is the size of workshop that you are heating? Mine will be 25 sq metres when complete and I hope that the 5 kw model would be big enough. One problem that I have encountered is the difficulty (impossibility) of getting red diesel or kerosene in small quantities and a reasonable price for workshop heating. I see that you are in Kent as well, have you managed to find somewhere to supply small quantities? Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.

I had a wood burner in my workshop for a few years but eventually realised that I got warmer chopping and sawing the fuel than I did from the stove and wasted time keeping it going.So last year spend under £100.00 and installed a diesel cabin heater. Brilliant no mess ,no smell 1 press to start and simple knob to adjust temp. Simple 25mm hole in wall for exhaust and 'luckily' 1200 heating oil tank (mine) to nick the odd liter from.
Hi Izzy
I am now fairly sold on buying a diesel heater for the reasons mentioned in my reply to Furnace's post. You also seem to have got a good deal on your heater. Any chance of a link to your supplier please? I see that you have sorted the fuel supply problem. Thanks for the initial steer towards this heating system.

Hi Furnace
Since starting this thread I have been converted to thinking about a diesel heater instead of a woodburner. The persuading factors are initial cost, less space taken up with installation, more neighbour friendly and generating heat just when I need it. The downside is losing the ability to burn workshop waste (for free) and the pleasure of sitting in front of a proper fire.
You seem to have got yours for a very good price and the running costs are good. Is yours the 5 kw 12 volt version and if so are you able to point me towards a supplier? What is the size of workshop that you are heating? Mine will be 25 sq metres when complete and I hope that the 5 kw model would be big enough. One problem that I have encountered is the difficulty (impossibility) of getting red diesel or kerosene in small quantities and a reasonable price for workshop heating. I see that you are in Kent as well, have you managed to find somewhere to supply small quantities? Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.
I use oil (kerosene) for my house boiler and mix it with red diesel that I have for the farm vehicles. I would think that a friendly farmer might help you out?
My workshop is 15m2 and is moderately insulated, but I very rarely have the heater on for more than 20mins. I set the thermostat for 14 degC, it runs flat out until it gets up to temp, then goes into tickover mode. That mode generally supplies too much heat for my comfort and I invariably turn it off at that stage and the workshop stays warm via lighting and my physical endeavours.

As Izzy mentions, it's important to allow the heater to shut down correctly. It cuts power to the fuel pump so no further combustion takes place, and the fan continues to run until the unit has cooled sufficiently. Failing to do this (by just cutting the power to the whole unit) will fry the control board and may melt the main plastic housing. Power cuts are a potential problem round here, so I installed a backup battery (sealed, rechargeable unit used for burglar alarms) and a sensor (about a tenner I think) that switches power to the battery in case of a powercut. It's a simple job, works really well and has saved my bacon on a couple of occasions.

I had a wood burner in my workshop for a few years but eventually realised that I got warmer chopping and sawing the fuel than I did from the stove and wasted time keeping it going.So last year spend under £100.00 and installed a diesel cabin heater. Brilliant no mess ,no smell 1 press to start and simple knob to adjust temp. Simple 25mm hole in wall for exhaust and 'luckily' 1200 heating oil tank (mine) to nick the odd liter from.
Do you blend your kerosene with diesel to provide lubrication for the pump?

Do you blend your kerosene with diesel to provide lubrication for the pump?
No I just run it on straight . I assumed that as the C.H. pump has run O.K. for the last 12 years this one would not need any extra lub. Hopefully I won't be proved wrong. Just another thought I think when I purchased mine last year there was an alternative 8kw(ish) option. I chose the 5kw as my 'engineering space' is only 10 sq meters and as others say within 20 mins or so it gets switched off. I did read that the Kw ratings might be a little optimistic in which case perhaps the larger one might be a better bet ,if available.

Hi Izzy
I am now fairly sold on buying a diesel heater for the reasons mentioned in my reply to Furnace's post. You also seem to have got a good deal on your heater. Any chance of a link to your supplier please? I see that you have sorted the fuel supply problem. Thanks for the initial steer towards this heating system.
No problem I hope it all works out well. As for supplier I have checked ordering history but it doesn,t show.

No I just run it on straight . I assumed that as the C.H. pump has run O.K. for the last 12 years this one would not need any extra lub. Hopefully I won't be proved wrong. Just another thought I think when I purchased mine last year there was an alternative 8kw(ish) option. I chose the 5kw as my 'engineering space' is only 10 sq meters and as others say within 20 mins or so it gets switched off. I did read that the Kw ratings might be a little optimistic in which case perhaps the larger one might be a better bet ,if available.
Thanks Izzy,
My oil CH boiler has a geared pump (rather than the simple piston type in our heaters) and states it works on Kerosene, Low Sulphur Kerosene and ultra low sulphur diesel oil (ULSD).
I would guess that if you've been using your heater on domestic heating oil (28sec) for some time and it still works fine, then there may well be sufficient lubricity without adding and diesel. That would be good news! Apparently it doesn't take long for insufficient lubrication to wreck the pumps.

Yet another
Thanks Izzy,
My oil CH boiler has a geared pump (rather than the simple piston type in our heaters) and states it works on Kerosene, Low Sulphur Kerosene and ultra low sulphur diesel oil (ULSD).
I would guess that if you've been using your heater on domestic heating oil (28sec) for some time and it still works fine, then there may well be sufficient lubricity without adding and diesel. That would be good news! Apparently it doesn't take long for insufficient lubrication to wreck the pumps.
Yet another thought . Some are supplied with a remote control thingy and others are buttons and a dial on the front of the unit. To me the remote was another potential thing to go wrong so I chose the buttons and dial .

if you've been using your heater on domestic heating oil (28sec) for some time and it still works fine,
How long have you had yours running on 28sec heating oil? If it's all working hunky dory, then I'll cease using a blend of red diesel and 28sec.
Cheers

Back