Wood bleach. HELP please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRYAN

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys.
I have aquired a folding garden set comprising 1 table and 2 chairs.
The table is in good nick,but the chairs are faded and look mildewy.
I am sure I once read of a bleach product that removes that staining.
They are some kind of hardwood with lots of half-lap joints.
Any ideas please?

Bryan.

Try normal bleach first to kill off any mildew - diluted 50/50 (depending on brand - some are already weaker than others) first attempt, if that doesn't get it use neat and a scrubber.

for actual wood bleaching you have to use sodium hydroxide, and hydrogen peroxide usually in 2 part form you mix - its available for this purpose, but is designed to take the colour out, so only really used to give a uniform tone if you want to reduce the contrast between board colours, if you aren't using a stain.

There's also oxalic acid - comes in powder form usually - for removing rust and water stains.

once you've gotten rid of the mildew, you might want to give it a once over with sandpaper - it's really up to you how far you go, whether you want to renew it to a less "hard life in the sun" look, or something in between.

alternatively you could always paint it! but still sand the wood some to give the paint something firmer to key to as old well weathered faded wood might cause it to peel.

I'd just oil it (raw linseed). It'll protect it and darken fairly evenly. No point in trying to make it look new. If that's what you want just go and buy some new ones

Latest posts

Back