Wonder Mongrels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promhandicam

Established Member
Reaction score
I really couldn't justify buying any more tools when I was last in the UK and as yet the Veritas Wonder Pups / Dogs aren't sold here in Lomé, so I came up with the following.
26657508cec7e91029faeb9335ec7574ba5ad125919d7d7912122b5d2fc5036758df0b10.jpg

712889880b2aefcbbf2eea0f636fe10b77ec79d4ef1780f30aa8171a87fe9ec34932ac17.jpg

The pins had to be turned down to 19mm dia, although I guess in other parts of the world you might be lucky and find 3/4" or 19mm round bar. M16 nuts were welded to the tops and bits of M16 studding with another nut welded on the end complete the 'wonder mongrels'. M16 studding was chosen for the sole reason that I had some left over from another job. :)

The clamping face is an offcut of hardwood with a 5/8" blind hole bored in. The clamp face can be used horizontally or vertically depending on what needs to be clamped. Obviously it will be easy to make up special shaped ones if necessary.

Not as well made or as pretty as the Veritas ones but they do more or less the same job, and IMHO, I think that the wooden 'jaw' is more versatile.

Steve

PS If Rob Lee is reading this - I have bought tools from Lee Valley in the past and when I can next find someone willing to hand carry me something, a Bevel-up jack is already 'in the basket' - as I'm not up to making one of those :wink:

Steve,
They look as though they will work fine.

I don't know if you have seen a wonderdog up close but the threaded bit is at a 2 degree angle below the horizontal (ie at 88 degrees to the vertical, so that when tightening up on a piece of work, it tends to push it down onto the bench top rather than lift it off the bench.

Just in case you experience such a problem...

waterhead37":28ry1vh9 said:
I don't know if you have seen a wonderdog up close but the threaded bit is at a 2 degree angle below the horizontal (ie at 88 degrees to the vertical, so that when tightening up on a piece of work, it tends to push it down onto the bench top rather than lift it off the bench.

I suspect you could get the same effect by planing a very slight slope on the face of the wooden end.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Nice one Steve

I tried to make one a while back, before I had even heard of a wonder dog, by griding down a cheapo G clamp, but your idea is much better

waterhead37":1a9owpyq said:
snip . . .I don't know if you have seen a wonderdog up close . . . snip

Thanks for your observations. Yes I have seen a wonderdog 'in the flesh' and had read that the threaded rod was angled slightlydownwards. Unfortunately on mine the tolerances on the nut and studding aren't too tight and so there is a bit of slop when not under load, but I think that Pauls suggestion of planing an angle on the face might overcome any problems. I'll let you know how I get on.

Steve

Back