Woden W78

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vann

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently picked up a Woden W78. It is, of course, missing both the fence and the depth stop.

A Stanley #78 depth stop will fit (well close enough). But I suspect my chances of finding a fence are very slim (especially out here in the colonies...), so I'm considering knocking up something out of a bit of hardwood.

Question for other W78 owners - what is the length of the fence rods, and what is the thread on the end of the fence rods?

I've already asked this on the other side (no, not there - it's too grim there - on the other side of the world on the Aussie forum) but without success.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":wstq2cy3 said:
Hi all,

I recently picked up a Woden W78. It is, of course, missing both the fence and the depth stop.

A Stanley #78 depth stop will fit (well close enough). But I suspect my chances of finding a fence are very slim (especially out here in the colonies...), so I'm considering knocking up something out of a bit of hardwood.

Question for other W78 owners - what is the length of the fence rods, and what is the thread on the end of the fence rods?

I've already asked this on the other side (no, not there - it's too grim there - on the other side of the world on the Aussie forum) but without success.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Vann.

I own one; I will do my best to remember tonight, and take the measurements you need.

BugBear

Think I've got one. If I can find it I'll have a look too.

ETA: I have got one, and I found it too! Thread gauges are AWOL though, so I had to do the inaccurate way - so best to wait for BB. Anyway:
Length 3 5/16"
Diameter 5/16"
Thread 22tpi (BSF) I think

Measurements in inches 'cos it was made in inches. :wink:

Alf":25i1shf4 said:
Think I've got one. If I can find it I'll have a look too.

ETA: I have got one, and I found it too! Thread gauges are AWOL though, so I had to do the inaccurate way - so best to wait for BB. Anyway:
Length 3 5/16"
Diameter 5/16"
Thread 22tpi (BSF) I think

Measurements in inches 'cos it was made in inches. :wink:

Thread is definitely 5/16" BSF; threaded portion is 8mm long (or 7 turns), outer end is rounded and drilled for a nail-size tommy bar, and the rod is plated, probably chrome.

I mic'd the bar at 0.308", which is a little under 5/16, which is 0.3125" - 4 thou under, probably to allow thread clearance. If you use 5/16" precision stock, you might want to check the fit.

BugBear

Alf, bugbear,

Thanks very much. That's just the info I was after.

Now off to see my friendly engineer... (grabs wallet - which is getting lighter every day - and heads for the door)

Cheers, Vann.

I started this thread about a year ago, not long after I came by a Woden W78 rebate plane and wanted to add a wooden fence.

Well a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

Firstly, I obtained a fence, rods and lever-cap from a WS A78, sans any of the appropriate thumbscrews, from a member of the Aussie woodwork forum.
WS Parts 1.jpg
WS Parts 2.jpg

The brass WS lever-cap replaced the bent Woden lever-cap on my WS with the knurled cap-screw transferring over (both lever-caps having the same thread).

The fence had the same fence rod hole pitch as the Woden, but the Woden has 5/16” rod holes, whereas the WS uses ¼” diameter rods. A friend with an engineering shop in his garage, made up two adaptor rods.
Rods.jpg
Alf and Bugbear of this parish, had identified the thread as 5/16” BSF.

Then I needed some thumbscrews to tighten the fence.

I found that the screws on the grooving attachment of a Record 735 fibreboard plane, have the same thread, and look about right. I just had to trim ¼” off the length.
Thumbscrews 2.jpg
Thumbscrew Mod.jpg

The friend also identified that the rods were perpendicular to the sides, but the base was not. He kindly surface ground the sides lightly to remove light rust pitting and then surface ground the base at 90° to the sides.
Assembly34.JPG
Assembly30.JPG

Unfortunately he also lost the lever cap pivot screw, and it has a different pitch to Stanley and Record 78/078 rebate planes, so he made a new one – the head of which is too large to pass through the cutting iron #-o . So to hone the iron I’ll have to remove the screw completely each time, or grind down the head a little :cry: .

So now I just have to re-grind and hone the iron, and then put it through its paces.

Another frankenplane for my collection :mrgreen: (allthough all the parts are made by related companies; WS were bought out by Woden, who were in turn bought out by Record).

Cheers all, Vann.

Attachments

• WS Parts 1.jpg
    WS Parts 1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,433
  • WS Parts 2.jpg
    WS Parts 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,434
  • Rods.jpg
    Rods.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,433
  • Thumbscrew Mod.jpg