Woden W78 mystery part

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobblezard

1 step forward, 2 back, 2 forward - rest - repeat
Reaction score
I'm just back from the East coast and fell on a few bits including a 151 spokeshave for 50p minus the original hold down screw and a puller which might not be salvageable for the same
However the find of the weekend for me was a Woden W78 rebate plane which seems to be complete, to the point of having a couple of mystery parts in the box. These are a short rod and fence and the odd angled clamp style piece with a pin on the inside of the angle, this has a hole which fits the rod of the extra fence (See pics below) I suspect that they are from an entirely different plane or tool. However they are the same paint colour as the two rod fence and plane body. Can anybody shed any light? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20211025_180648.jpg
    IMG_20211025_180648.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20211025_180625.jpg
    IMG_20211025_180625.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20211025_181437.jpg
    IMG_20211025_181437.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20211025_181648.jpg
    IMG_20211025_181648.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20211025_181658.jpg
    IMG_20211025_181658.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20211025_181718.jpg
    IMG_20211025_181718.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Last two photos are of the fence and clamp arrangement for a Paramo bench plane.
The Paramo plane used replacable blades, which have been unobtainable for many years.

Bod.

The WS78, is missing the fence, a Record or Stanley twin rod fence may fit.
A Woden 78 may be a better bet, as Woden brought out WS, and continued manufacture, till brought up by Record.

Bod

Last two photos are of the fence and clamp arrangement for a Paramo bench plane.
The Paramo plane used replacable blades, which have been unobtainable for many years.

Bod.
Ok thanks, I'll look into that - do you know which paramo plane?

A Woden 78 may be a better bet, as Woden brought out WS, and continued manufacture, till brought up by Record.

Bod
It's a Woden W78 not the WS78. It still has the decal and original iron which is stamped Woden. It does have the twin rod fence, both bars and screws, I just didn't get them in the pic.
Shame it's not the WS78 tho because I really like the brass/bronze fittings...

Paramo plane number 10 I believe.
Ah yes thanks, I've found a pic or two online, it does look very much look like this is the part I have acquired. Not likely to have much use for it...
The Planemaster 10 looks 'interesting', guess it didn't really take off

Ah yes thanks, I've found a pic or two online, it does look very much look like this is the part I have acquired. Not likely to have much use for it...
The Planemaster 10 looks 'interesting', guess it didn't really take off
Rubbish plane I think!

Bod
You can get a cheap fence and rods off an Indian copy about £20.

Cheers James

Cheers James
Hi James, thanks for that but I do have the original fence and rods.
Yes the Paramo doesn't look like much fun

...a Record or Stanley twin rod fence may fit.
Firstly - Stanley never made a twin rod version of the No.78.
Secondly - the fence rods off a Woden W78 or off a Record No.778 will not fit. In addition the hole spacing for the Record No.778 is different.

I believe the Indian copies are based on the Record No.778 - in which case the rods and fence will not fit (see above).

...thanks for that but I do have the original fence and rods...
That's good news - otherwise you might have to do what I did.

I bought a Woden W78 without it's fence or rods, but managed to find a WS fence and rods. I had to have adaptor rods made as (IIRC) the WS has 1/4" rods with a 1/4" BSF thread, but Woden changed to 5/16" rods with 5/16" BSF threads. The Record 778 doesn't have threaded rods, they're straight rods, clamped with a screw.

Woden W78.jpg

The original rods and the adaptor rods together in the plane storage box I made.

rods.jpg

The fat RH ends screw into the Woden plane body, while the skinny LH ends accept the WS fence.

The round knob thumb screws were also missing. These replacements are off a Record 735 soft board plane (shortened to suit).

Cheers, Vann.

Last edited:
Back