Woden 189B & A130 bench vices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_P

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm back again to pick your brains as I attempt to transform these yellow monsters into blue bench vices.

trio 1.jpg

trio 2.jpg

trio 3.jpg

A few questions for starters.

Can the rails be removed, one turns a few revolutions ?
Can the quick release lever be removed ?
Should the wooden bench spacers be fitted horizontally or vertically (with ref to pic 3 above), or doesn't it matter ?

Haven't bought the paint yet and they still need a bit more elbow grease before painting but originally was thinking of hammerite spray but if the quick release lever should be left well alone I'm thinking hammerite in a tin and applied with a brush.

Any help / tips / info greatly received.

Attachments

• trio 1.jpg
    trio 1.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 2,927
  • trio 2.jpg
    trio 2.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 2,928
  • trio 3.jpg
    trio 3.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 2,927
Mr_P":1omwpjqw said:
Hi All,

I'm back again to pick your brains as I attempt to transform these yellow monsters into blue bench vices.

A few questions for starters.

Can the rails be removed, one turns a few revolutions ?
Can the quick release lever be removed ?
Should the wooden bench spacers be fitted horizontally or vertically (with ref to pic 3 above), or doesn't it matter ?

Haven't bought the paint yet and they still need a bit more elbow grease before painting but originally was thinking of hammerite spray but if the quick release lever should be left well alone I'm thinking hammerite in a tin and applied with a brush.

Any help / tips / info greatly received.

I've never seen a bench vise where the rails weren't permanently riveted in :-(

But the Q/R mechanism can easily be removed for cleaning. Just follow your nose, and start removing pins, clips, and nuts.

Take LOTS of digital photos as you go to aid putting it all back together.

BugBear

What BB said, seconded. I've taken a Record quick release one apart and 'done it up' nae probs. Look for Head Clansman on 't'other haven' and you'll find his photos of a near identical strip down etc. His video showing a sliding vice face is hilarious...sort of sander racing, but at vvveeerrryyyy ssssslllloooowwwww pace.

Sam

Thanks chaps, I've managed to remove the Q/R lever. Very simple when I realised a ball bearing wasn't a ball bearing.

I've even taken the plunge and bought the spray can of Hammerite (only £8.40 at Halfords)

Sadly also started to massacre some mdf with a hand held circular saw (yes wore a mask). Blimey forgot how much dust that generates, so when I've finished that my vices will be painted. Should finish the cutting today and then another 3 weeks to clean the garage before painting can commence.

or stay on this one? -- if I remember, the Woden 130 was one of their attempts at a quick release without separate lever - turn the tommy bar back a bit to release (like some USA QRs) --- all the mech has to be very clear of muck to work well

Latest posts

Back