WIP: Shaker style coffee table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarkin

Established Member
Reaction score
After much planning and debating (thanks to everyone who gave advice on the merits of black walnut), I concluded that it would be a little too strenuous on the finances right now. So I gathered together all the wood I could find (white oak and ash left over from old projects) and designed something suitable; a shaker style 2-drawer coffee table in oak, with ash as the secondary wood.

I've also been making a concious effort to use more hand tools, and fewer power tools, this is where I've got to so far...

Ok, so I didn't quite have time (or the appropriate planes) to hand surface all the wood, so this is after a day with a thicknesser:

Cutting the mortices into the legs for the rails, this I did do by hand :)

Glue-up of the side frames, the panels are solid oak, and all the pieces are hand finished with a No4 Smoother:

And a "cheat" view of the whole thing. The top and bottom are hand planed smooth, and I /attempted/ to hand joint them. But the longest plane I have is a No4, so it was interesting! And it's a "cheat" because the top is just sitting on it and there are no drawers yet, just two holes on the other side
:roll:

Sorry there's no piccy of the intermediate stage, that glue-up was marginally stressful so I forgot to take a photo! Next step is to fix down the top, and make the drawers. Going to be my first hand-cut dovetails so will be interesting! I'm very much still learning, so constructive criticism is always welcome...

Good looking piece, as you're going for shaker style have you thought about putitng a chamfer on the underside of the top?

Back