WIP - Marble Tower

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian down london way

Established Member
Reaction score
Hors-d'œuvre

Well, the last WIP I posted here was a year ago - dang that's embarrassing. It was for a powered kinetic sculpture, which (thank you everyone) seemed to generate quite a few responses.

So, I'm motivated to post another, as it evolves.

Sponsored (well prompted) by my daughters who think it was very unfair that I had made only a single 'Marble Chest', when there were two of them, I'm going to tackle an item called a Marble Tower.

Its similar, in many ways, to my Marble Chest. The plans come from the same place (Forest Street Plans). Here is the Marble Chest that I made:

Marble chest open.JPG

... for which these are the plans: http://www.foreststreetdesigns.com/Marble_Chest_Plan.html

The new project, is similar on content, but not in format. Its called a Marble Tower. The plans are here:
http://www.foreststreetdesigns.com/Bell_Tower_Marble_Machine_Plan.html

So, bought the plans by internet/mail, and they arrived from the USA very quickly. Standard problem of there being no option for our size (well, the rest of the world size :) paper, so photocopying and scanning is tricky / clippy.

Anyway, from a plans perspective, these are the initial drawings you are given in the pack:

001 - The plans - page 1.jpg

002 - four way view - figure 2.jpg

So, the first thing is the base.
I've still got rescued oak from my kitchen of a few years ago. I salvaged the door panels and the door edges. The panels are only 15mm, and the plans call for 7/8" (grrr, so much prefer metric) (aka 19mm), so I decided to layer the oak onto some ply. More to the point, the width of the base is wider than my thicknesser.

Adding to the problem was that the plans call for a routed edge all the way around. Now, I've never been good at getting neat edges when routing end grain, so I decided that the best option was to put some oak lipping all the way around, so that I'd be routing along the grain.

So, the base is to be constructed from sections, to create an interesting look, and then oak applied around the outside, like a picture frame.

So, here it is:
003 - the oak for the base.jpg

004 - add play underneath, and glue oak around the outside.jpg

And here is my home made router table (complete with car jack) :) :
005 - and route the edges - home made router table (with car jack).jpg

And here is the finished base with some matching feet (although not yet attached):
007 - base with four feet (not yet attached though.jpg

Right - I think that will do for my first posting.

And good luck with the storm - its really picking up outside now!

Attachments

• Marble chest open.JPG
    Marble chest open.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 3,518
  • 001 - The plans - page 1.jpg
    001 - The plans - page 1.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 3,519
  • 002 - four way view - figure 2.jpg
    002 - four way view - figure 2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 3,518
  • 003 - the oak for the base.jpg
    003 - the oak for the base.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 3,518
  • 004 - add play underneath, and glue oak around the outside.jpg
    004 - add play underneath, and glue oak around the outside.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 3,517
  • 005 - and route the edges - home made router table (with car jack).jpg
    005 - and route the edges - home made router table (with car jack).jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 3,517
  • 007 - base with four feet (not yet attached though.jpg
    007 - base with four feet (not yet attached though.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 3,517
Ian down london way":114xhnkh said:
And good luck with the storm - its really picking up outside now!

Storm, there's a storm?

The first one looks really great, good luck with this one. If I nag, will you make me one too? I love those things, hope your daughters do too.

Starters

Next part of the project are the uprights and the top part of the structure.

I decided to make the uprights out of Ash. the plan called for screwing the uprights to the base. Clearly screwing into the end grain wasn't going to be strong, so I decided to insert cross grain through the uprights, and for aesthetic reasons, I decided to set them in all four faces. I tried turning some darker wood, but couldn't get a satisfactory fit, so in the end I used some commercial circular cross section hardwood doweling from (gulps) B&Q. Not the greatest of visual contrast, but the effect is not bad.

010 - The uprights - with internal dowels.jpg

The top of the uprights are used to support an upper floor, so I added the dowels at both ends of the uprights.
The uprights are screwed into place through the base, but those steel screws are hidden by the feet.

012 - Uprights in place.jpg

At the top of the uprights, there is a frame with 45 degree corner joints - nicely complementing the base, I think.
I used a biscuit jointer to cut the slots into the four top sections, and having visited the D&M show a few weeks ago, used an ideal tool to hold it all together - a belt clamp I think its called.

013 - The top - new clamp - just right for the job.jpg

And here is the top being screwed into place. having shaped the top layer on my upside down home-made router table.

014 - screwing the top on.jpg

The next section is to build the top, which is attached above the layer just attached.

016 - The plans - page 1 - Top.jpg

I made a template from the plans, and cut some maple for the nice curvy bits which support the central turned piece.

However, having cut and sanded down all four curves...
015 - screwed together, and top level arches cut.jpg

I discovered they didn't leave enough space in the middle, where they met, for the size of turned crown indicated in the plan.

After much measuring (and not an insignificant amount of cursing) I realized I'd made the base slightly too small - I've no idea how - just about 1 cm, but this made the crown too small by a major amount. The picture shows a square cross section block the correct side from the plans, but it pushes out the four maple pieces till the overlap the edge of the top floor. GRRRR

017 - connecting block - wrong size.jpg

So, it was either reshape the existing maple (risking the aesthetic), alter their angle (tricky), throw them away and create new ones (wasteful) or or make a smaller crown - which what I thought I'd try doing.

I'll stop this post, so I can add more pictures to the next one (there is a limit per post).

... TO BE CONTINUED TONIGHT ...

Attachments

• 010 - The uprights - with internal dowels.jpg
    010 - The uprights - with internal dowels.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 2,958
  • 014 - screwing the top on.jpg
    014 - screwing the top on.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 2,959
  • 012 - Uprights in place.jpg
    012 - Uprights in place.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 2,959
  • 013 - The top - new clamp - just right for the job.jpg
    013 - The top - new clamp - just right for the job.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 2,958
  • 016 - The plans - page 1 - Top.jpg
    016 - The plans - page 1 - Top.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 2,959
  • 015 - screwed together, and top level arches cut.jpg
    015 - screwed together, and top level arches cut.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 2,958
  • 017 - connecting block - wrong size.jpg
    017 - connecting block - wrong size.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 2,959
Coronation

I've been collecting relatively small pieces of fruit wood from friends over the years (I used to make wooden spoon awards and ebay them at £12 each), so I tried turning one of those (pear tree I think), and it looks ok.

018 - a top - maybe.jpg

I also had, however, some really nice looking spalded beach. I had little idea what to do with it, so I though I'd give that a try too.

020 - Much more interesting wood for the top.jpg

Having started to turn it, trying to get the same shape, it looked even better, but turned (ha) out to be too weak, even with the liberal application of super glue to try to keep it cutting nicely.

Shame.

021 - Getting the size right.jpg

So, back to using my fruit wood top.
So, next job, turn the underside, into which will be set the 4 curved maple arms

Having turned it, I then started chopping out slots to take neatly the curved maple arms. Had to be done by hand, with a Japanese saw and chisel - Got to love those laminated blades - I've only got the one, on the left below (confiscated and carried by the flight crew after I thoughtlessly tried to carry it in my hand luggage on a plane from Tokyo - many many years ago, but still my favorite).

023 - Chopping out slots in the lower turning.jpg

I cut out opposite sides first. Then, major Doh moment, realized that when i started to mark out the other two, that I was going to remove entirely the curved edges. Clearly it was a no-thinking day, as it was obvious, in retrospect that was going to happen, and the 4 maple arms come together to form a square, so the corners had to be detached.

Oh well.

Slice off the edges - wast of 2 hours cutting the slots - and screw the arms in, and, well, it looks ok.

024 - Square cut under turning in place - with screw for attaching.jpg

In order to attach the top crown to the assembly, I screwed a steel screw into a pilot hole drilled into the lower turned piece, and then sliced the head off with a dremal cutter and then was able to screw that into a pilot hole drilled into the top fruit wood crown.

Final job, to attached the 4 maple curved pieces to the top of the structure. This was done with a screw fairly close to each of the uprights (so I couldn't plug the holes) - so I've used brass screws which don't detract too much from the overall looks.

Apart from snapping the head off the screws more than once (even with pilot holes and using a steel screw first, the brass screws have such alot of friction, its very easy to snap them - although I finally solved that by waxing the brass screw threads, which lets them screw into place much easier).

Then stuck in the cut off corners, to tidy up the top. I'll plug the screw holes up there later, when I'm sure its really finished.

026 - Looking pretty good.jpg

So, the basic framework is done.
And at least the cat likes it.

027 - well, the cat likes it.jpg

Attachments

• 018 - a top - maybe.jpg
    018 - a top - maybe.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 2,949
  • 020 - Much more interesting wood for the top.jpg
    020 - Much more interesting wood for the top.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 2,948
  • 021 - Getting the size right.jpg
    021 - Getting the size right.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 2,949
  • 023 - Chopping out slots in the lower turning.jpg
    023 - Chopping out slots in the lower turning.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 2,948
  • 024 - Square cut under turning in place - with screw for attaching.jpg
    024 - Square cut under turning in place - with screw for attaching.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 2,948
  • 026 - Looking pretty good.jpg
    026 - Looking pretty good.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 2,949
  • 027 - well, the cat likes it.jpg
    027 - well, the cat likes it.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 2,949
Supporting the inner man

This stage is the completion of the supporting structure.
Quite straight forward, except that there is lots of end grain that the designer seems to like to screw into, so lots of dowels to fit to enable the screws to bite.

So, here are a few pictures showing the decorative parts being cut and attached:
030 - Decorative top 1.jpg

These are the completed decorative parts for the top.
031 - Decorative top 2.jpg

They are simply stuck to the underside of the top frame, non-structural.
033 - Fixing the decorative top strips.jpg

The internals which support all the bits and bobs, I'm making out of Ash.
032 - Ash for the middle framing.jpg

These are the 6 end supports, screwed to the side frames. The end supports are quite complex, with plugs to hold the screws, countersunk holes, and routed bottom edge. I made 7 as one didn't like the router table which took off one of the poky out corners.

034 - The side supports, without plugs.jpg

The internal supports are half height, again with dowels in to accept the end screws.
036 - Internal supports.jpg

And here it is, with all the internal supports in place - side view.
037 - Side view - internals complete.jpg

Now, it starts building up from the bottom upwards, so its the marble pump next.

Attachments

• 030 - Decorative top 1.jpg
    030 - Decorative top 1.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 2,711
  • 031 - Decorative top 2.jpg
    031 - Decorative top 2.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 2,711
  • 033 - Fixing the decorative top strips.jpg
    033 - Fixing the decorative top strips.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 2,711
  • 032 - Ash for the middle framing.jpg
    032 - Ash for the middle framing.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 2,711
  • 034 - The side supports, without plugs.jpg
    034 - The side supports, without plugs.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 2,711
  • 036 - Internal supports.jpg
    036 - Internal supports.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 2,711
  • 037 - Side view - internals complete.jpg
    037 - Side view - internals complete.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 2,711
It's looking very good so far. I like the whole way you are dealing with this, learning and over-coming difficulties. You may not think it at the moment, but it'll be a b****y marvellous job when you're finished. :D :D :D

Onwards

Next job is the marble 'pump' which is mounted at the base of the structure.

Here is what it looks like on the plans.

038 - pump plans (exploded view).jpg

039 - Pump plans (plan view).jpg

The aim of the pump is that by turning the handle, you push a row of marbles up a clear acrylic tube, to eject a marble at a time out the top, to start the path down through the structure.

But boy, has this been tricky to get right.

I made the reciprocating part first. Picked a few scraps of nice wood I had laying around, using hardwood doweling for the cylinder sections (can't be bothered to turn my own).

Seemed to be ok.

040 - The pump (1).jpg

There is also what appears to be a springy catch thingy, visible on the plans, which when made looks like this:

041 - The pump and one-way spring.jpg

For the acrylic tubing that starts at the bottom, and aims marbles to a bell right at the top, I chose some flexible acrylic tubing which you can get for carrying fluids for ponds pumps and the like. I chose the inner diameter to be a few mm larger than the marbles I selected (which are all between 15mm and 16mm across - and yes, that was me measuring them in the toy shop before buying them).

So, a length of that, and I have to drill a hole into it, to allow marbles to pass into it, near the pump. I had to put doweling into the tube to drill the plastic decently.

The plan also calls for a slot to be cut for a about 6cm along from the hole. Humm, getting rather floppy.
You can also see there the feeder which directs marbles to the hole.

042 - Flexible tubing at pump.jpg

(breaking there to allow more pictures)

Attachments

• 038 - pump plans (exploded view).jpg
    038 - pump plans (exploded view).jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 2,341
  • 039 - Pump plans (plan view).jpg
    039 - Pump plans (plan view).jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 2,341
  • 040 - The pump (1).jpg
    040 - The pump (1).jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 2,341
  • 041 - The pump and one-way spring.jpg
    041 - The pump and one-way spring.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 2,341
  • 042 - Flexible tubing at pump.jpg
    042 - Flexible tubing at pump.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 2,341
So here is the view of the floppy tube with the feeder in place. Humm. sort of works, but it needs additional supports along the tube.

044 - Drilled hole in tubing - humm.jpg

You can just about see how the tube isn't really well formed around this area, and is collapsing somewhat.

Anyway, It just about worked, although lots of friction as the pump's ramming shaft tries to move in the tube.

So, onto the bends.

I tried bending the flexible tube (hey, that's why I bought the flexible tube!), and it bends, but the internal shape collapses - no way is a marble going to go through it.

Plan B : Having observed that when the tube collapses internally, it actually squashes out sideways, I thought that I should try to keep it a circle on the outside. So I create some wooden collars placed along the length of the tube. Works great, except now the tube won't bend - the collars keep it rigid - who'd have thought !
(well, pretty obvious in retrospect, but what can you do).

So, plan C, don't bend the tubes, but turn the marbles using wooden stuff.

I tried a few different concepts of turning the marbles. One simple wedge design:

050 - Corner concept - Mk I.jpg

but that took a lot of pressure to push marbles through that, and it tended to jam.

mark II uses ply to make outer curves. Much better, and quite aesthetic too:

051 - Corner concept - Mk II.jpg

However it still suffers from bunching up of the marbles, and jamming, so I need to make the tracks more complete, outside edge, inside edge, top and bottom (4-way). Hence the Mk III.

054 - Corner concept Mk III (close up 2).jpg

So, I recon I can do the corners, but the bottom really isn't working well, the pump keeps jamming.

Eventually, I did what I really hate to do, and looked at the plans. Oh damn - it says to use the RIGID tubing, then heat it in the oven and bend it. Well, that's rather embarrassing. Must be the engineer in me, I just hate to admit failure and read the instructions.

So, back to the internet, and buy a couple of different sized rigid acrylic tubing. Make some molds for the lower curved section.

061 - Ridgid acrylic tubing.jpg

After many attempts, and lots of overheating (VERY wobbly tubes) I worked out that you can re-shape the plastic, when its soft, by pushing a drilled wooden collar along its length, which puts it back into a circular shape.

062 - Rigid acrylic - initial bending (no longer circular cross section).jpg

So, seems to be working now.

Move from temporary test area, onto the real structure, and I have a new milestone :)

065 - In place (steel screws).jpg

Attachments

• 044 - Drilled hole in tubing - humm.jpg
    044 - Drilled hole in tubing - humm.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 2,321
  • 061 - Ridgid acrylic tubing.jpg
    061 - Ridgid acrylic tubing.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 2,321
  • 050 - Corner concept - Mk I.jpg
    050 - Corner concept - Mk I.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 2,321
  • 051 - Corner concept - Mk II.jpg
    051 - Corner concept - Mk II.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 2,321
  • 054 - Corner concept Mk III (close up 2).jpg
    054 - Corner concept Mk III (close up 2).jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 2,320
  • 062 - Rigid acrylic - initial bending (no longer circular cross section).jpg
    062 - Rigid acrylic - initial bending (no longer circular cross section).jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 2,320
  • 065 - In place (steel screws).jpg
    065 - In place (steel screws).jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 2,321
I've been watching this for months now, it's coming along nicely. I can feel for you with all the experimenting and learning going on. Remember the old engineer's motto RTFB, which translates nearly to "read the instructions first" :D
Good luck and I can't wait to see it finished.

Regulo 5 for 2 minutes

So, next stage is to try to channel the marbles up to the top, so that they fall onto a high up bell.
The plans make it look easy, but...

So, straight length of acrylic up, and then a curved bit at the top, with some cutting, to open up the tube.

The plans show the top should look like this:

069 - The plan for the top.jpg

So, I bought three lengths of acrylic. One got used for the bottom (well, I wasted half, as I never managed to get it round enough). One for the upright, and the last part for the top.

However, fearless now in the art of bending acrylic, I prepared the oven.

I probably should come clean and admit that, well, I've not got the greatest of track records for ovens.

Last valentines day, after making a huge effort with chocolates with breakfast, leaving choc (spot the theme) hidden throughout the house, and sending texts each hour to keep her-in-doors happy, I bought supper from somewhere that didn't sell 'just a nice supper, but an M&S nice supper" - ops - name dropping.

Anyway, all was well with the starters and I preheated the oven for the mains, but then encountered this:

Oventime.jpg

Well, clearly there had been a troll with a cold hiding out in my oven.

Or maybe the oven had melted - humm, felt less likely.

Eventually worked out that we were missing one of our plastic chopping boards, and hey, guess what, they seem to be made out of cold-hot-glue.

Took 3 weeks of scraping to avoid shelling out for £45 a shelf.
Mind you, I got a new blow torch out of it, so it wasn't all bad.

Anyway, I appear to have been forgiven, but I'm a little more careful these days, so I used a t-towel under the tube, and that sitting on a tray.

So, 2 minutes at regulo 5 (well, 180 deg C) is what the instructions call for (and no, i don't normally read instructions - after all, I are an engineer!

Anyway, One game of Riddle stones on FB led to another and another then "OH rubbish!!!" (wow - the program automatically changed the word I have typed in there - how interesting !)

The result was this:

070 - Melted tube.jpg

Well, bang goes my last tube of 22mm acrylic tubing.

Fortunately, when I bought the 22mm tubing, I also bought three lengths of 24mm. the postage was so high, I thought I might as well.

So, once the ranting has stopped, and the laughing too (grrr), I tried with the thicker tubing. Interestingly this bends in a very different way, kinking. Maybe its more about how the heat penetrates the plastic in a different way. Whatever it was, I had to heat it quite a bit more, to allow it to bend and that caused all sorts of problems.

071 - problems with bending.jpg

Definite need to make it round again. So, my patented (I wish) hole in some ply comes into play.

072 - Making the tube round with a moulding hole.jpg

And that seemed to do the trick - first time !
Probably helped, in retrospect, by the inner diameter being larger, so it was more tollerent of not being quite circular, whilst still letting the marbles through.

073 - Thicker tube, bent.jpg

And after some fettling (hum, red squiggly line - that's not in the dictionary!) at the top, I managed to get it fitted.

074 - Thicker bent tube in place, but not held.jpg

Which, after an aesthetic holder is fitted (third version), looked rather nice.

075 - the second top feeder with support.jpg

After some practice runs, I realise that the tubes tend to come apart at the bottom, so the last part of this section is a bracer at the base, which works nicely, but I will have to plug the screw holes later.

076 - amended feeder, with brace and stopper.jpg

You can also see too many steel screws, but I'll replace them with brass when I'm sure I don't need to remove the parts too many more times.

And so ended the cookery lesson.

This is what it looks like so far:

Whole peace so far.jpg

I'm back in the swing, and looking forward to catching the marbles as they bounce off the bell at the top (which apparently is a rare Chinese bell, bought on ebay from China, for about £7 for a set of them).

Bye for now.

Attachments

• 069 - The plan for the top.jpg
    069 - The plan for the top.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 2,415
  • Oventime.jpg
    Oventime.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 2,415
  • 070 - Melted tube.jpg
    070 - Melted tube.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 2,415
  • 071 - problems with bending.jpg
    071 - problems with bending.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 2,415
  • 072 - Making the tube round with a moulding hole.jpg
    072 - Making the tube round with a moulding hole.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 2,414
  • 073 - Thicker tube, bent.jpg
    073 - Thicker tube, bent.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 2,415
  • 074 - Thicker bent tube in place, but not held.jpg
    074 - Thicker bent tube in place, but not held.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 2,414
  • 075 - the second top feeder with support.jpg
    075 - the second top feeder with support.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 2,414
  • 076 - amended feeder, with brace and stopper.jpg
    076 - amended feeder, with brace and stopper.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 2,414
  • Whole peace so far.jpg
    Whole peace so far.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 2,414
The Splitter

Now comes the first of the internal parts.

So, first is a device to allow marbles to go down two paths, with alternate marbles taking a different route.
The plans give the details of a flat area surrounded by a raised wall. To make the grain look good, I like to cut it out of one piece of wood, with a scroll saw, and then stick the central piece back in when its pushed down a little. To make it work well I need to make the cut on a slight slant, but more on that later.

Here is what it looks like:

080 - Top splitter.jpg

Once the centre section is pushed down and glued back in place, the underside looks like this.

081 - Underside.jpg

I can then take off the underside, using a thickensser. A little bit of a brute force machine, but it is able to take off very thin sections.

083 - Taking off the underside.jpg

Anyway, the end result is pretty aesthetic. To actually route the marble down two paths, needs a T-shaped piece that will move over as the marble goes past.

The first one, which is made from zebra wood, just didn't quite work. the pointy bit of the flipper didn't go across far enough before the marble went down the hole, so the next marble would get stuck.

I made another one, and tweaked the shape somewhat. Only a very subtle difference makes a big change to how it works. Here are the first two I made.

085 - the subtle changes make all the difference.jpg

And this is the final version.

084 - Mounting the flipper.jpg

So far so good. However I do have to get the marble into the tray, and when the marble bounces off the bell at the top, it goes in all sorts of directions.

The plans call for a catcher. I made what the plans showed, but it didn't have a large enough catchment area, so I had to extend the top, to make it wider. Pretty simple woodwork, then mounted onto the splitter.

091 - Top catcher 2.jpg

(continued in next post to allow for more pictures)

Attachments

• 080 - Top splitter.jpg
    080 - Top splitter.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 2,286
  • 081 - Underside.jpg
    081 - Underside.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 2,286
  • 083 - Taking off the underside.jpg
    083 - Taking off the underside.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 2,287
  • 084 - Mounting the flipper.jpg
    084 - Mounting the flipper.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 2,286
  • 085 - the subtle changes make all the difference.jpg
    085 - the subtle changes make all the difference.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 2,285
  • 091 - Top catcher 2.jpg
    091 - Top catcher 2.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 2,286
The left hand route

Moving onto the left hand route. The next bit is a spiral path that is supposed to strike some bells.
First, the spiral. I made this in a similar way to the splitter. Again, I needed to cut the spiral out in a wedge shape so it would glue back in.

To make it a wedge, I raise the false table I used on my scroll saw, guessing at the tilt.

094 - Putting a slant on the scroll saw.jpg

Then I drill the exit hole and cut out the entire spiral, but always keeping the thin part which needs to drop, on the left of the blade, so that there is a consistent wedge.

093 - Spiral cut, with a slight silt.jpg

095 - Drilled and cut.jpg

Again, I use the thicknesser to remove the excess on the underside.

098 - Scroll side underside 2.jpg

Now the surprisingly tricky bit to attache bells that should sound as the marble runs down. The plan's design looks like this:

100 - Bell support as per plan design.jpg

First problem is that the bells stop the marble if they strike the far side. No good. I have to work out a way to adjust the height of the bell really accurately. I couldn't tie the supporting thread to an accurate length. I ended up choosing to route the thread through a hole drilled through a screw, that way by adjusting the screw I can raise and lower the bell.

Turns out that this really isn't good enough to reliably let the marbles strike but then move past the bell. I tried taking a video of a marble moving down the track and was able to look at it in slow motion (the wonders of a new iphone), and decided it would be better let let the ball strike a bell on the outer edge of the corner, where it would simply deflect around the curve, without the need to get past the bell, as such. The end result is this altered setup:

101 - final version of bell supports.jpg

And here you can see what I had to achieve with regard to accurate adjustment of the height of the bell:

102 - bell support, needs very accurate adjustment.jpg

When connected by a trough to the splitter, it is looking good, and also works well !

104 - Scroll bath connected to the splitter at the top by a channel.jpg

More in a couple of weeks, I hope.

Attachments

• 094 - Putting a slant on the scroll saw.jpg
    094 - Putting a slant on the scroll saw.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 2,279
  • 093 - Spiral cut, with a slight silt.jpg
    093 - Spiral cut, with a slight silt.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 2,280
  • 095 - Drilled and cut.jpg
    095 - Drilled and cut.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 2,280
  • 098 - Scroll side underside 2.jpg
    098 - Scroll side underside 2.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 2,280
  • 100 - Bell support as per plan design.jpg
    100 - Bell support as per plan design.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 2,280
  • 101 - final version of bell supports.jpg
    101 - final version of bell supports.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 2,280
  • 102 - bell support, needs very accurate adjustment.jpg
    102 - bell support, needs very accurate adjustment.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 2,279
  • 104 - Scroll bath connected to the splitter at the top by a channel.jpg
    104 - Scroll bath connected to the splitter at the top by a channel.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 2,279
Just caught up on the last two posts, Really fascinating, Mechanics and wood work together.
I just love you're ingenuity and problem solving!
Looking foreward to the next posting please. Regards Rodders

Latest posts

Back