WIP: Dovetailed Stationary Box (Completed)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a fello B & D workmate wood worker I would like to congratulate you on your box. It's hard to make "Pretty" and "Quality" with the set up we have, but you seem to have done a grand job mate.

Noel":ikeubox3 said:
Mr 71, he of the reasoned and polite criticism, has gone the way of many Norwegian Blues, ceased to be, expired.
He had been warned before for a similar infraction.

=D> =D>

Joiner Sim - Just read through this and whatever you do don't be put off by comments such as that seen - I have real respect for you doing work like that on a workmate. It wasn't that many years ago (ok a fair few) but when I was doing my A levels my workshop consisted of a bench made from tea chests and yes I had a B&D workmate as my vice. With the exception of a corded drill it was all hand tools in those days.

What you learn now will stay with you forever - keep it up

Rog

Thanks guys, I have the B&D workmate, but also as I've said thru the WIP, have machines at work to help me if needed which is of great benifit!

well i like the idea of the box! i just think you could have perhaps thinned it down a bit? it does look heavy and cumbersome!
i also think that someone with as much skill as what you say you have? could have done a slightly higher standard of work. no malice intended simon.

I don't mind that comment, but please tell me how could I have done a slightly higher standard of work?

Do you mean just neater and tidier joints? If so, it's not very often now that I use my hand tools, let alone cut joints, so I am a little rusty these days! I'm working now mainly as a wood machinist so hardly get much practice anymore. On a positive note though, I am earning more doing something I'm not that chuffed about, than I ever was when I was on the bench with the tools! So it is swings and roundabouts! Take the good with the bad!

perhaps the lid could have been cut from the same piece ? i cannot comment on the joints as its not my thing! the box just seems clunky and not attractive to the eye,

I know the lid probably should have been cut out of the box after glue-up and did consider this at the start of the project. However, not having a bandsaw available to me at the moment, I decided I didn't fancy doing it on a table saw. So that really is the reason why I went in that direction. I will try and make a box in the future and cut the lid off on table saw, see how that goes for me.

Also I would not have been able to chamfer the lid using the above suggested method as the end grain would REALLY have looked strange and as if it was a mistake.

I had to use 17mm timber, as the hardware I had available to me required fixing to the box, mainly the catch, and I could only find 15mm veneer pins to fix it with. If I could have sourced something smaller the timber would have been also thinner. Really I would have liked to have a maximum thickness of 13mm.

clewlowm":1fhv5ynp said:
well i like the idea of the box! i just think you could have perhaps thinned it down a bit? it does look heavy and cumbersome!
i also think that someone with as much skill as what you say you have? could have done a slightly higher standard of work. no malice intended simon.

The "it looks dung" comment by whats-is-name was stupid and unnecessary, but I agree with Mike.
You seem to have been doing this for at least 2 or 3 years, 40 hours a week. It was a gift for your fiancée, surely you should have put more effort into getting it right, you even acknowledge it is not made as you wanted.
I think the excuse you only had 15mm pins is a poor one. You don't need a bandsaw, can you not use a handsaw?

It is exactly how I wanted it, apart from only wishing I could have used thinner timber. If I had of rebated the lid into the box I would not have been able to chamfer the top as I wanted to. While I respect that it is not made "correctly" it is made to how I wanted to make it. The joints may not be perfect but they are good enough for me considering I only cut dovetails on the rare occasions anyway.

And maybe this next bit of info may put me down, but I'm going to correct you on your estimate of how long I have been doing carpentry & joinery for. I have been working now since 2003, regardless of what people's opinions maybe on this piece of work (that I must add, I am pleased with and so is the recipient) and have worked on some high quality jobs earning a living every week and my earnings have almost trebbled since I achieved my qualifications in the trade.

joiner_sim":1jodumfz said:
It is exactly how I wanted it, apart from only wishing I could have used thinner timber.

That was my point, surely it's not how you wanted it then?

joiner_sim":1z6zlsmw said:
I had to use 17mm timber, as the hardware I had available to me required fixing to the box, mainly the catch, and I could only find 15mm veneer pins to fix it with. If I could have sourced something smaller the timber would have been also thinner. Really I would have liked to have a maximum thickness of 13mm.

A tip for future reference

Use a pair of pliers /Side snips etc and cut the pins down to the length that you need

I made a sacrifice in the design to accomodate the ironmongry (pins) available to me. I am happy with the "chunky" feel to the box, as it is intended to be placed on a desk or something similar. In future I may try snipping the pins down when I come to order more timber. The next few boxes I am going to make may be from softwood and rebate top & bottom with mitred corners, as I do need much more practice at box making!

Latest posts

Back