WIP - Changing table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mekkemikkel

Established Member
Reaction score
My first real wood project in the new workshop was a changing table for our latest offspring.
I have some goat willow from a tree that I chopped down in my parents garden, and wanted to see how that worked out.

I also wanted to practice working with hand tools and incorporated lots of m&t joints and through wedged tenons on the short rails.

I started with some designing in sketchup, and this is the final design approved by the customer:

Stellebord%20skr%C3%A5.jpg

Stellebord%20side.jpg

Stellebord%20front.jpg

Stellebord%20detalj.jpg

Here are the hand cut mortises in three of the stiles done. I found that goat willow is brittle and not the easiest wood to work with.

DSC_1042.JPG

I drilled a hole in each leg, and epoxyed in a nut that will anchor the wheels.

DSC_1050.JPG

The nuts will be hidden behind the tapered feet. I made a simple jig to make the feet on the table saw.

DSC_1047.JPG

DSC_1048.JPG

DSC_1049.JPG

I glued the feet to each leg, and gave them a round of sanding.

DSC_1053.JPG

DSC_1056.JPG

Next up I made all the tenons for the rails on the routertable.

DSC_1110.JPG

There are two shelves with slats under the table and I had to find a way to route the mortises for these. After hand cutting about 40 mortises in the legs, I couldn't be bothered hand cutting 72 more, so I made this jig :

DSC_1203.JPG

DSC_1204.JPG

DSC_1206.JPG

DSC_1207.JPG

DSC_1208.JPG

DSC_1209.JPG

Something moved a bit while routing, but the slight mistakes will be hidden by the tenon shoulders.

DSC_1211.JPG

DSC_1213.JPG

Then I used the router table to copy the curves on each rail

DSC_1215.JPG

DSC_1216.JPG

Glue up of one side frame

DSC_1217.JPG

While the glue set, I started making all the slats for the shelves. 36 of them, planed, routed tenons, and edges rounded over on the router.

DSC_1237.JPG

DSC_1261.JPG

Then I glued up the panel for the top. Weighted down to keep it flat!

DSC_1236.JPG

DSC_1239.JPG

The short rails have wedged tenons, so I cut and drilled notches for some oak wedges, and started the easy glue up.....

DSC_1281.JPG

DSC_1280.JPG

And then the big glue up!

DSC_1283.JPG

DSC_1302.JPG

DSC_1286.JPG

DSC_1304.JPG

The customer is visiting my shop and inspecting the progress, he seems quite happy!

DSC_1284.JPG

DSC_1294.JPG

Ready for finishing

DSC_1309.JPG

DSC_1311.JPG

I sprayed two coats of a waterbased semigloss lacquer on this. I would prefer an oil finish, but settled with lacquer to make it easy to clean up any «accidents»....

Skr%C3%A5%20forfra.jpg

skr%C3%A5%20venstre.jpg

skr%C3%A5%20bak.jpg

topp.jpg

Thanks for watching! :)

That is really nice, mate!

Any troubles drying out the goat willow?
I have some currently in my garage, which i intended to use for small woodturning, but it's split something terrible...

Good work. Looks like your new workshop is working well for you. :wink: I like the mortising jig. Water-based lacquer is great stuff indeed, even though it takes a bit longer to dry than the others.

xy mosian":39d09ud3 said:
You have an interesting way of getting 'customers' :)
xy

Its quite fun to get them, but hard work to keep them happy! :lol:

Henning":39d09ud3 said:
That is really nice, mate!

Any troubles drying out the goat willow?
I have some currently in my garage, which i intended to use for small woodturning, but it's split something terrible...

It didn't split to much, but I did get lots of twist and warps. Lots of waste and I had to compromise on the dimensions on the table.

Lovely job. Bet that glue up was a nightmare with all those slats!

Latest posts

Back