WIP - Another Kinetic Scultpure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a break

Its been a while, lots of things going on. Unrelated was a busy xmas, but after xmas, I got to the stage of trying to do the tapping - and had LOTS of problems.

First, was that yet again I had chosen the wrong wall thickness for the tubes of both aluminium and stainless steel. I HATE IMPERIAL UNITS!

So that picture earlier, with that nice brass tube set in, were all rubbish.

I bought some taps from ebay - all of which say they are 8/32. These are really small.

IMG_2444.JPG

And when the taps disappeared into the tube barely touching the side, I realized I has screwed it up again (or rather, not been able to screw it up).

So, having got some stronger advice on what tubes to get, I was finally able to order the right tubes - and wouldn't you know it, the supplier had mucked up his web site (mixing SWG with decimals of an inch - and getting it wrong) so I got yet again the wrong side tubes - ARGH.

The supplier was actually very good, told me to keep the incorrectly sized tubing (his fault) and send me some more.
YEA !

So now, I just had to actually tap the stuff.

being a woodworker, I'd never tapped anything before, and didn't realize I needed something to hold the taps.
Managed to borrow a tap set, but the handle was way too large. Finally managed to get a small enough handle from a friend at work, and I was away at last - only took two months !

But then of course, I wasn't able to get it to work. They just wouldn't start to bite!

GRRR

Two weeks later, I finally grasped that I needed to drill out a more accurate hole in the tubing (1/8th inch seemed right), and finally got my first tap done - good heavens that was more difficult than it should have been !

I must admit, it does feel good to feel how easily the bolts screw into the tubing.

So, finally, I can show a few assemblies with metal attachments!

IMG_2441.JPG

On a roll.

Of course, I hadn't quite reckoned on the difficulty of working in stainless steel :(((

IMG_2448.JPG

Back to ebay - but at least I know its possible now.

More to come.

Attachments

• IMG_2444.JPG
    IMG_2444.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_2441.JPG
    IMG_2441.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_2448.JPG
    IMG_2448.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 449

Latest posts