Windows update virus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John
I bet that if you click on the shield then it will offer you the WMP update as an option to instal (if you go the custom route). If you decline then it should let you choose an option to 'not warn me about this update again'.

Roger Sinden":mcdz2661 said:
Hi John
I bet that if you click on the shield then it will offer you the WMP update as an option to instal (if you go the custom route). If you decline then it should let you choose an option to 'not warn me about this update again'.

OK. I clicked it and a dialogue box came up stating I must accept the end user license. so I didn't go any further.
There were the two options usual and custom.

Shady - I agree with you but for that to happen the software/Java/Active x whatever has had to have got onto John's computer in the first place.

If John's not opened up any emails nor visited any dodgy sites ( Shame on you ) then I don't see how.

True enough - if all his firewall/AV stuff is properly configured - otherwise, anything's possible... Still, sounds as though its just about resolved, without major pain, which is the major thing... The blasted adware that got onto the boys machine defeated my attempts to be subtle: it was even re-installing an executable from a hidden location, after I'd identified and removed the executable from the root windows folder - it was seriously well done, unfortunately. In the end, my simplest option was a re-format of the hard disk, and a re-installation of everything. Of course, we all back up critical files, don't we???

Back