Window to small for opening any idea's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust1

Established Member
Reaction score
Been fitting windows for a customer who had them made 2 years ago by another joiner.
Ok until the last one, brick opening 60 inches wide, window was made 56 inches wide. Top to bottom
is ok. Painted softwood. Thought about planting on 2inch timber each side but can't see how to finish
off the render and plaster to bridge over this and bring them over to the original frame or how the cill
would look.
Any idea's ?

2 inch plant with 2inch plus capping on the outside to hide the joint and stop the water getting between, then dry wall and plaster board on the inside till you've packed it out to the finish size.
all the best
rob

Evening Sawdust.
I'd be tempted to tell the customer he needs a new window to be made for the opening.
Anything you do to the small window will look like a bodged attempt to make it fit, the reveals will look distinctly different both internally and externally and the cill detail will be subpar with planted sections.
Remember, people will see the finished result WILL relate it to faulty workmanship on your part, not to the joiner who made the window, and it is your reputation that you should be concerned with.
Hopefully you can make the customer realise that you only want to achieve the best results on his property.

All the best
Kieran

Don't fit it. Tell him it doesn't fit the hole, and that he'll either need a new window, or to have the opening adjusted. Anything you try to do to put this right will look like a bodge, and will reflect badly on you.

Fit the window then attach linings either side, to span the gap, like sash window linings. Could have a bevel edge, or moulding like a sash window lining.
It's done a lot but if done neatly you'd hardly notice.
It's also handy for fitting a square window into a misshapen hole - by scribing the lining to fit the opening.

Morning Jacob,
I'm sorry, but I can't agree with you there, if all of the windows had been similarly undersize, I’d agree with your solution; however, the lined window would be so different to the others it would stick out like a sore thumb.
Sawdust, you could always plant on a section temporarily and let the client see if it is acceptable to him, but I still think I’d refuse to fit the window, as I wouldn’t want to be associated with what I consider a bodge.
Best of luck
Kieran

Unless it is replaced then whatever you do will make it different from all the others.
Would anybody really notice? Only an eagle-eyed joiner IMHO.
NB many older buildings have a variety of window designs for one reason or another. Can even be a mistake to make them all match.
Discrete and clever bodging is what it's all about!

A bodge is still a bodge Jacob, not something I would ever have considered doing when I was in business and if that's what the OP customer wants then ok but I'd get him to sign a disclaimer.

cheers
Bob

Thanks for the replies.
The customer has asked me to make all the remaining windows 10 in total to replace plastic ones.
So really best idea is to add this one to the list.
The ones i fitted where made 2 years ago so i don't think their is much comeback with the joinery Co
that made them.
I can see what Jacob is saying but it would not look right on an old farmhouse with windows that are
only 39 inches high.
Inside plasterwork can be built out but the outside stone wall would be more of a problem.
What ever i do would look like a bodge job.

Sounds like the window was mismeasured by 100mm, a very easy mistake to make. When I make measuring mistakes it's normally by 100mm.

The 100mm mistake, the times I've started measuring on the tape at 100mm to get an accurate measure, something distracts me for a while then forget to subtract and cut 100mm to big.

Also I was going to suggest some cheeks fitted to the window but would look odd at 50mm thick.

Back