Window seal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackal

Wallybois Woodworking on YouTube
Reaction score
Hi all what window seal and tooling do you prefer? Draft prevention ect as just got my spindle and would like to get busy with it!

I prefer aquamac 63
9a612e19c75fb3e2cd79fa3a72172633.jpg

But use this setup
d9221a90734bba5c64491acd66c35bec.jpg

Probably not what you wanted to hear :mrgreen: ;)
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

A lot depends on the application, for example wiping or compression seal, rebate size, stormproof, flush fitting window, open in, tilt and turn etc.

In general though, old though it may be aquamac 21 is pretty good. It can be used both in face and back of rebate and either in saw cut only or combined saw cut and groove.

I also quite like the stormseal seals available from quest hardware

http://questhardware.co.uk/glazing-syst ... mseal.html

I find the plastic covered, foam type seals easier to keep clean than the rubbery type ones which seem to get dirty just by looking at them!

Also try reddiseals, mighton, coastal

Logger":sai2pd3f said:
I very often use hodgsons flexistrip.

http://www.hodgsonsealants.com/product/10172/flexistrip

I have recently made some windows for a listed building using this with slimlite 12mm double glazed units. I know that places like roman glass swear by it as well.

Cheers

Nick

That would certainly stop draughts, might make opening and closing a bit stiff though :D :D :D

RobinBHM":1rt4epwc said:
Logger":1rt4epwc said:
I very often use hodgsons flexistrip.

http://www.hodgsonsealants.com/product/10172/flexistrip

I have recently made some windows for a listed building using this with slimlite 12mm double glazed units. I know that places like roman glass swear by it as well.

Cheers

Nick

That would certainly stop draughts, might make opening and closing a bit stiff though :D :D :D

Ah yes, been making windows today, so got sealing glazing on my mind. :lol: weekend off and i could perhaps make a sensible suggestion.

It is funny when when you have been doing one thing that makes you misread something like that or perhaps it is me. To be fair, i take 3 different types of opiods for pain relief which can mess your brain a little.

If anyone wants to know a good product to use to seal glass in windows, iam your man!

This is very interesting and I am now aware of Aquamac 21 and 63 but i see Storm guard is also available but seem similar in design to the aqua mac . Where is a good place to purchase such strips? How much clearance is need for these strips?

Regards and very big thanks

The strip I use is a compression one. If the sash ends up 57 mm thick I usually do the rebates in the frame 1.5mm deeper (so 58.5). The joint around the edges of the sash is kinda up to you then.

Coley

I only 98% of the time make flush casements (besides sliding sash)
I've made 100's of windows this way and never had an issue until a couple years ago. It was a window that had really extreme weather thrown at it and a small amount of water was dripping from the top of the sash inside. Ever since then I always rout a drip groove around the sash and the uprights and head of the frame- its not much extra work but it's a bit of a nuisance cleaning the glue out of the drip groove after.

Coley

Back