window frames in an old stud wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingcod

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking out a section of stud wall ( about 2 metres width and 2 metres height) and replacing with a glazed partition to let more light through to a back room.

The wall is lath and plaster and currently has three windows up high like this (so I am assuming there must be no load on the wal from above):

mjqtk6.jpg

I was thinking of an end result like this:

ay3x2b.jpg

Which would mean the load for each full length unit could be taken at ground level or thereabouts.

I was also thinking of spreading the load somewhat by splitting into smaller frames something like this:

110dpv6.jpg

Or maybe even more frames (all more work of course).

In either case I'm thinking I will need some decent wood for the frames which would be inset into the existing (Victorian) stud work.

The glass will be saftey glass, possibly laminate.

For the new hoizontal studs I am also concerned to make them strong enough to support the load of glass above them .... should they be morticed into the verticals perhaps?

Would good old glazers putty be adequate for these kind of units?

Are these kind of frames manageable for a beginner with reasonable tools ( a decent mortice cutting saw and table saw) or am I out of my depth?

Hi kingcod.
If it were me i'd make the window frames up like a traditional door lining would be made. Grooves in the top and bottom piece and tongues on the side pieces. You can than plant on some stops to form the rebate for the glass. All this should be quite manageable with just a handsaw and chisel. Would have thought clear silicone would be adequate for this type of thing.
Good luck with your decision.

Simon

Back