Window 10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scotty38":7dns3djx said:
Benchwayze":7dns3djx said:
mseries.

I burned it to a disc, but I can't open anything on it. There is no set-up file. I have to choose s program. As I am lost and haven't a clue what these files are, I can't even begin to choose a program!

I think maybe a Mac will be the best.
And I thought I was PC savvy too! :mrgreen:

You need to boot your pc from the disk, although if you're struggling at this stage a Mac may be an easier (albeit more expensive) option :mrgreen:

He'd struggle just the same to install OSX but buying something pre-installed is obviously going to be easier. If benchwayze was more local I'd go round armed with some distros and try to get him up and running

mseries":butouiar said:
scotty38":butouiar said:
Benchwayze":butouiar said:
mseries.

I burned it to a disc, but I can't open anything on it. There is no set-up file. I have to choose s program. As I am lost and haven't a clue what these files are, I can't even begin to choose a program!

You need to boot your pc from the disk, although if you're struggling at this stage a Mac may be an easier (albeit more expensive) option :mrgreen:

He'd struggle just the same to install OSX but buying something pre-installed is obviously going to be easier. If benchwayze was more local I'd go round armed with some distros and try to get him up and running

Good point, if by some miracle you're passing near Lincoln any time soon pop in and I'll give you a hand too.....

mseries":6f1zb3r1 said:
scotty38":6f1zb3r1 said:
Benchwayze":6f1zb3r1 said:
mseries.

No, that's simply not true. Installing OSX is very very very easy. It just does it all.

I downloaded it once some years ago, ubantu and Linux . But could not make sense of it.

Perhaps if someone ran a web seminar on it, or some basic instruction to follow I could get started .

devonwoody":3tx4i2jy said:
I downloaded it once some years ago, ubantu and Linux . But could not make sense of it.

Perhaps if someone ran a web seminar on it, or some basic instruction to follow I could get started .

Loads out there on the web, maybe too much and therefore overwhelming. What stage did you get too ? Is this too basic for you ? (that's for an older version but it's no different to the latest)
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Linux-Mint

EDIT: here's a link to the PDF user guide for the latest version of Linux Mint http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/ ... h_17.2.pdf

Nseries, if I installed again, I would not know how to get to your link because I was no longer in windows.
It's questions like will my apps work with Linux.

My present mood is to stay with w7 and don't bother with anything new.

devonwoody":1x1t4w62 said:
Nseries, if I installed again, I would not know how to get to your link because I was no longer in windows.
It's questions like will my apps work with Linux.

My present mood is to stay with w7 and don't bother with anything new.

You will need to get Linux versions of the apps you need - the distribution may already have them included or you can probably download them from the central repository via the system itself - all with no charge. Windows versions won't work on Linux (without something such as Wine - which is adding more complications). There are equivalent for most things such as email clients, word processting, photo imaging, browsers, CD ripping, CD/DVD playback. Things such as drivers for your devices may prove to be harder to get round, it depends on what you plug into your computer, I am thinking of things such as displays, scanners/printers, cameras, etc. - it depends on what you have, my wife's HP printer works fine for me. Very new and very old hardware may have less support than devices made in the last few years. Computers made for Windows 8 might have issues with UEFI.

Re-clicking on links, you just click it as you would on Windows. Opera, Firefox and Chrome all have Linux versions. Or do you mean while you are trying the live CD ? - this is why I linked to the PDF so you can print the parts you need to read while they computer is booting. NB the point of the live CD is to try Linux without damaging your existing system. You put the disk in, reboot (might need to ensure it will boot from the DVD) and away you go.

Well,

I burned the disc. but my PC just doesn't seem to know it is there, and there is no 'auto-play'. There is no set-up file on the disc either, so maybe the burn wasn't correct, or it just isn't any use on my PC; because there might be some glitch in the Windows set-up.

I am scrapping this PC. More trouble than it's worth. I think I will have a look at the Mac alternative.

Benchwayze":3knx3bhb said:
Well,

I burned the disc. but my PC just doesn't seem to know it is there, and there is no 'auto-play'. There is no set-up file on the disc either, so maybe the burn wasn't correct, or it just isn't any use on my PC; because there might be some glitch in the Windows set-up.

I am scrapping this PC. More trouble than it's worth. I think I will have a look at the Mac alternative.

If you get to Windows you've gone too far. These disks are not Windows applications, they contain the new Operating System. Maybe my nomenclature is confusing, Windows is an Operating System (OS) so Linux needs to boot in favour of Windows. Your disk could be used on a machine that has no OS installed at all.

You will need to make sure your PC attempts to boot from the DVD before the HDD. (Imagine your computer is brand new, without even windows installed, the hardware (actually the software on the chips aka the BIOS) looks for an operating system to load up. It can look in many places in order but it usually finds an OS on the Hard Disk, now we want it to find it on the DVD drive to boot from our DVD so we must make it look at the DVD drive before it looks at the HDD. [Do you remember the olden days when sometimes we had to put a floppy in and reboot to install some drivers, it was doing the same thing. In that case it loaded the drivers then quit.]

You may need to adjust the bios settings to make it do this. Do you get a message flash up saying something like "Press F12 to adjust BIOS" ? NB it might not be F12 on your system.

Yes. I do remember having to load files off a floppy, when doing a Windows XP set-up. That's why I can't go back to XP of course. I can't access the floppies I have. I could put the files onto a CD of course, via a USB floppy-drive I have, but the CD wouldn't be 'found' by the Windows set-up, so I'd be no better off.

I have to go into set up I assume, to cause the boot to go to the CD drive first. No problem
I'll try it this evening, but this is the last attempt to get this PC working! :D

and just to add you probably won't need to change the BIOS, there should be an option (via F12 or whatever) to just change the boot device that one time ie you just select from a menu

Benchwayze":rxh9lxg6 said:
I'll try it this evening, but this is the last attempt to get this PC working! :D

Tell you what, if this is the end of the road for you, stick it in a box, post it to me and, if it can be done, I'll install a Linux distribution of your choice and send it back...

scotty38":37sp6081 said:
Benchwayze":37sp6081 said:

Tell you what, if this is the end of the road for you, stick it in a box, post it to me and, if it can be done, I'll install a Linux distribution of your choice and send it back...

Hi Scotty,

That's extremely civil of you.

I could do with a change of scenery and my car could do with a run to blow the tubes a little. (1000 miles a year doesn't really cut it!)

As soon as I can arrange someone to sit with my wife, I'll bring the PC (or drive?) over; with your permit of course!
I have to go to Leicestershire too I think, to meet another forumite, so I can do a round trip maybe.

regards

John

I,m down devonway, perhaps when next time in Newport pagnell

I could extend my trip and put it om an old laptop?

Thanks all for suggestions and help.

scotty38":1ety5lb6 said:
No problem at all and we'll need the whole pc....

Okay Scotty,

Thanks again for your kind offer.
As you need the whole thing, I had better get a new case then! The top is attached only by some leads!
Useful case as there are very accessible USB sockets on top, plus a hard drive dock, for tranferring files. I find that very useful!

John :D

Back