Winding Sticks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunbarhamlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
Was watching Rob Cosman's Rough to Ready and noticed something that looked odd.

I thought the point of having registration pins in a pair of sticks was that it doesn't matter if top and bottom edges aren't quite parallel, provided both sticks share a common geometry (which match planing with the registration pins in place will ensure.)

This only works if the sticks are used in their matched orientation, yet in one shot both pins and matching holes are facing the same way - presume this is insignificant for Mr Cosman's self maintained sticks (who did state that sticks must be parallel) but for mere mortals, is my thinking right?

I also notice that he has center marks on both outside faces only - necessitating his approach - a design flaw?

Cheers
Steve

I think the registration pins (or keys, depending on which you have) are to help maintain the parallel lines. You put the sticks together with the pins registered and plane.

Pam

I thought the pins were there just to see the top edge of the rear stick more clearlly by providing a contrast and not really important to checking wind other than that
Parallel and straight sticks are paramount as far as I am concerned when using them

Ahah, thanks chaps - following caffeine transfusion, I see that parallel edges are a requirement - without it, the sticks would have to be aligned absolutely parallel to one another or the percieved wind would be unreliable.

Though not keeping matched faces facing would double the inaccuracy of sticks planed slightly off parallel. What is a reasonable tolerance for this sort of thing (get out the digital calipers, or just a hair)?

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back