Will Stanley 50 parts fit a Record 050 Combination Plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanA

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a Record 050 combination plane which is missing a few bits and pieces. Some of what I need I can find online for the Stanley equivalent plane, the No.50, is there a chance these will fit the Record?

The main thing I'm lacking is the shaving deflector but to complete the set I also need the beading stop, another thumb screw.
I'm not sure if any of these are really essential for the tool to serve its purpose, I'm still to use the plane for anything other than ploughing at the moment but the obsessive in me wants all the bits. I will be doing some tongue and grove joints soon, so I'll see how I get on without the shaving deflector.

Very best,

DuncanA":2o39y1fh said:
I've got a Record 050 combination plane which is missing a few bits and pieces. Some of what I need I can find online for the Stanley equivalent plane, the No.50, is there a chance these will fit the Record?
There's a very good chance, but no guarantee. As with most of their planes, Record copied the Stanley originals very closely. The big difference, as wastrel says, is in the cutters and their adjusters. The original Stanley 50, at the time Record copied it, had no adjuster. Record added a screw adjuster to theirs, then Stanley added a lever adjuster to their own.

The shaving deflector and beading stop are almost definitely interchangeable. The thumbscrew might be a different thread, and a US Stanley might be a different thread from a UK Stanley (I've noticed this in 110 block planes, where the Record and UK Stanleys both use a BSW thread, while the USA model uses a non-standard thread - on the lever-cap tightening wheel)

Cheers, Vann.

Thanks guys. I'll order the shaving deflector and beading stop and see how I get on. I should be able to manage without the missing thumb screw - it just means the depth stop and beading stop rely on the same screw, and I can't imagine any situation requiring both simultaneously (in fact I'm not entirely sure on what the beading stop is for - I'm imagining it will be useful as a depth stop when cutting dados where a wooden guide batten would get in the way of the normal depth stop. For beading I can't figure out what purpose a stop on the fence side serves that the ordinary stop on the other side doesn't - but it must have 'beading' in the name for a reason)

The beading depth stop is only needed if you are making matchboarding which is tongued grooved and beaded. You cut the tongue edge (with the wood in the vice, edge up. )
You then put the wood flat on the bench. The beading stop rubs against the shoulder of the tongued part to position your beading along the long edge of the wood.

This needs a diagram which I can't do at the moment. It's similar with the 405 45 or 55 so you can probably find instructions on line for one of those.

AndyT":2qii7160 said:
The beading depth stop is only needed if you are making matchboarding which is tongued grooved and beaded. You cut the tongue edge (with the wood in the vice, edge up. )
You then put the wood flat on the bench. The beading stop rubs against the shoulder of the tongued part to position your beading along the long edge of the wood.
That makes sense to me (I've not used my 050 in anger yet - prefer the 043 for tasks to date).

I've just checked the threads on a US Stanley 50 thumbscrew (1914-35 era). The thread is ¼” 28tpi, while my Record 050 thumbscrew (flatish thumbscrew style, 1935-43 era) is ¼” 26tpi. So they're not interchangeable. I don't have access to a UK Stanley 50 so I can't help any further.

Cheers, Vann.

I think I see how the beading stop works now, almost like a small fence.

Thanks for the details on the thumbscrews Vann. I'll keep an eye out for what I can find, though looking at some prices I might be better off waiting for a good deal on a complete set rather that pay a premium for a couple of odd bits.

Here's a diagram and photo from Planecraft. The beading stop gives the horizontal position and the ordinary depth stop controls the depth.

7F239D6C-A668-473D-8372-3615482A8F17-13514-00001450772FA970_zpsbc5980d2.jpg

Actually a 405 but the principle is the same.

Thats interesting have always wondered what the beading stop was called and its purpose. You learn something new every day.

Andrewf":3oyo5lk2 said:
Thats interesting have always wondered what the beading stop was called and its purpose. You learn something new every day.

+1, thanks for that info. The beading stop is the only bit missing off my 050, now I need to decide whether I need one or not :-k

DTR":e8o15t52 said:
The beading stop is the only bit missing off my 050, now I need to decide whether I need one or not
If you stop beading, you won't need a beading stop :-" :-"

Okay, I'll go take my medication...

Cheers, Vann. :D

Latest posts

Back