WiFi extenders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The are some free apps for android and I guess apple with names like WiFi analyser. You could install one then delete it after you do your trials. I have a Fritzbox router from zen so bought a Fritzbox 3000 mesh repeater, it's excellent as I'm sure many others are. Plug in, press a button, job done. Whatever device you are using just follows the best signal as you move round the house, and all firmware updates happen at the same time as the router with no human intervention. We have a 5 bed L shaped house, the router at the back downstairs does most rooms and the garden, the mesh repeater in a front room upstairs does the rest plus the garage workshop and the cars in the drive, mobile signal is rubbish here so its handy that the phones are still on WiFi when you it destinations into maps. Why not start with 2, a router and a mesh extender. You can always add later. I'm not too bothered about theoretical maximums. I can stream 4k tv and use phones ipad laptops etc anywhere and that's good enough for me.
Thanks Richard, this is all new to me, a steep but very interesting learning curve! The more I read it appears that a Ethernet wired backhaul isn’t necessary as it seems that many mesh systems have a dedicated backhaul. What I was concerned about is where I might need and therefore should install an Ethernet connection point.

Comes down to budget and expectations really.

Our whole property is on Unifi. Yes, it requires some knowledge to set up, but once that's done it's pretty easy to maintain... You can always get a pro to set it up for you.

One thing I would say is consider having a PoE (Power over Ethernet) switch and PoE access points. This obviates the need to have mains power near access points so you can stick the AP on a ceiling or wherever is best for signal coverage rather than being constrained to locations close to a mains socket. The CAT6 or CAT5e backhaul is useful too.

Further, with a PoE switch by your router and ONT , you can use a single small UPS system to keep all your networking running even when you have a brown-out or blackout.

I also use Unifi UBBs - building to building bridges... These give a 1.7Gb/s link between buildings that is transparent to the network, so my outbuildings have exactly the same network as the main house at wire speeds. Backups from equipment in outbuildings back to the network storage in other buildings is lightning fast.

Also, with a real managed system like Unifi, you get neat apps for your phone that allow you to see what's actually going on and often how to fix it.
Plus, you get a tonne of nice features, like guest networks and intrusion protection etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230711-220202.png
    Screenshot_20230711-220202.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230711-220939.png
    Screenshot_20230711-220939.png
    240.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
With all the upheaval you've got going on, I would put cables in for wifi APs. If you want security cameras you could also put the network cables in for those as well.

Given your abysmal speeds, I would also look into Starlink and work out where you'd put your satellite and make sure you've got a cable for that to.

I am going through this at the moment. I have tried a couple of devices from local stores. The first was no good and I returned it. The second works, but halves the wifi speed. My next option is to order something from Germany, with obvious issues with language, support and ability to return faulty goods so I want to get that right first time.

I have a TV in a room with unusable wifi, connected to my router with an ethernet cable. I want a device I can put next to the TV, connect it to the router using the cable that currently goes to the TV, and plug the TV into the new device. Then have the new device provide wifi to extend the existing network.

What would be the best device to buy in this scenario?

I have a very long narrow house with 600+mm walls. I put in cat 6 and have 3 wap with poe. Bear in mind with waps you cannot start a call at one end of the house and walk the entire lenght seemlessly. If the walls are thick there is significant loss of signal even from one room to another. I have no experience of mesh but for TV's etc I feel hard wired is best.

We had an Orbi mesh in our previous house and it behaved well.

We moved it to our new place and it was hopeless. Ignoring the incoming speed to the property for one moment, it simply couldn't punch a signal throughout the house on account of the old thick walls.

We moved to TP-Link Deco P9's - quite a few of them, but our house does sprawl somewhat. The advantage of the P9 (and the "P" is important) is that they create a mesh network which is either over the airwave wi-fi, ethernet (if you cable them together) or Power line (hence the "P") or a combination of all of them.

The units themselves are not cheap (about £50 a pop) but are much cheaper than Orbi satellites.

Don't expect stellar speeds, but if your incoming internet speed isn't wonderful, they don't degrade things that much and are perfectly functional for the average domestic user.

You can begin with a starter pack (like below) and can add more satellites if you wish to extend further - they simply add to the existing mesh.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-P9-Po...qid=1689139357&sprefix=deco+p9,aps,197&sr=8-3

If your a cheapskate like me you can always make use of all those old wifi routers you dont use any more as wifi extenders, repeaters, access point and network switches.
Example here

Whatever happened to those plug in things that created a mini network using the ground wire of the ring main. I used to have one which I could plug in in my summerhouse which is a long way down the garden and it worked fine. Wish I could find where I put it as I do have weak spots as my house is a split level on three levels so some rooms are virtually underground. These things were not expensive but can you still buy them. My experience of wireless wifi extenders in the US (my son's house) is not good. As you can see I am not well up on the high tech stuff - get somewhat lost but I did run Cat 5 when I moved my router. Big improvement but still some weak spots eg. if I am using my PC in the lounge (underground) and need to scan or print omy wireless printer I have to move to another room but normal use is fine in the lounge. Any advice welcomed.

Installed the Deco S4 mesh in our bungalow a few years ago. Easy to install and reliable. Compatible with Amazon Alexa. To save on installing new Cat5/6 cable you can also look at "Ethernet over the mains".

Whatever happened to those plug in things that created a mini network using the ground wire of the ring main. I used to have one which I could plug in in my summerhouse which is a long way down the garden and it worked fine. Wish I could find where I put it as I do have weak spots as my house is a split level on three levels so some rooms are virtually underground. These things were not expensive but can you still buy them. My experience of wireless wifi extenders in the US (my son's house) is not good. As you can see I am not well up on the high tech stuff - get somewhat lost but I did run Cat 5 when I moved my router. Big improvement but still some weak spots eg. if I am using my PC in the lounge (underground) and need to scan or print omy wireless printer I have to move to another room but normal use is fine in the lounge. Any advice welcomed.
Yes you can get them - just Google WiFi extender - TP link, or netgear do them.

I don't think John on the Wirral, is referring to WiFi extenders, but Powerline adapters. I have used the TP link one's for years (they have gradually got faster as the standards have increased) and they work extremely well. The only proviso is that the units need to be plugged into the same electrical circuit, which is the norm in most houses.. There are variations of output (ethernet connection or Wi-Fi). The advantage (apart from cost) is that they can be moved from room to room with no disruption. I have recently switched from copper to full fibre and my speed tests have been good compared to direct ethernet connection to the Router. Some of the units also have "Plug through" sockets so that the socket is still available. My house is 1920 with solid internal walls.

If your a cheapskate like me you can always make use of all those old wifi routers you dont use any more as wifi extenders, repeaters, access point and network switches.
As a fellow cheapskate I like the idea. I have tried it with at least 3 old routers but never got it working. Probably down to terminal stupidity, but I had to give up on the idea.

I had a TP link, OK for fixed locations but doesn't do what mesh does. It never was that good for speed and stability, but I've never really worked out how our mains electricity is configured, maybe a split ring or a spur or something where I was using it.

I did explain to the family that the best answer by far for now and the future would be cable trays all round the house and through walls just below the ceiling. That would mean you could install whatever you wanted, power, phone, tv. Ethernet, speaker wires. It was rejected on aesthetic grounds. Oh well.

No the TP Link Powerline, will plug into any 13 Amp socket. One of mine is wifi (Sitting room) and in my upstairs office I have one plugged in to an ethernet switch and have three computers plugged into that. I sometimes move the sittingroom one into the dining room without any problems. The only point that is made is that it must not be plugged into an extention lead but directly into a socket. I have been using them for the past eight years and have never had to replace one (might speak too soon!). The master one is plugged via ethernet to the router. As a former electronics engineer I would always go for ethernet connections as they are more secure than WiFi. In my view the next best is powerline!

I need to make sure at my new home that wifey can get access to the internet at all four corners of the house. It’s a large house and the options I think are either installing cat 6 or 8 wiring to Wi-Fi hubs (think that’s the terminology) or using something like the BT discs to create a mesh network. Anyone know which is the better solution and why?
Hello, Deema I have tried all of the suggestions given here and more. I now have a TP-link wifi extender in the bad areas of our bungalow (with many thick brick walls and other obstructions to good WiFi). It works it's wireless and only needs a PowerPoint comparatively close to the area needed for a good WiFi signal. I have tried repeaters and Cat6 ethernet cabling but this WiFi extender makes all that redundant now. Hope this helps you in some way the one I am currently using is available on Aetc. is

TP-Link AC1900 Gigabit Mesh Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Wi-Fi Repeater, 3 External Antennas, Intelligent Signal Light, Power Schedule, LED Control, Tether APP, Easy Setup, UK Plug (RE550)

@sploo, looking at the XT8 specification, it appears to be brilliant. What Im reading though is it appears you can only have two in a mesh, which might just be me reading it incorrectly. Looking at the range this won’t give me enough coverage unfortunately. Ideally I’d like to have outside coverage for those few days we can actually sit outside!
Currently running three nodes. I don't know what the limit is, but it's certainly more than 2 ;)

The BT system with one extra disc at the top of the stairs works well for us (large extended Victorian terrace with loftroom added - but still about half the size of your sprawling mansion!!). Work in the garden too. But that's with 500mb fttp. BT do sa they'll give you as many discs as you need for full coverage, but that may just be for fibre.

Just a thought - might a 4g or 5g router with a roof antenna give you a faster connection than the basic 30 mb through the copper wire?

BT disk system is flaky and not that good at the edges of its range. I’ve installed the Tenda mesh system which is acceptable in a medium size house but for a custom install needing a lot of coverage for devices such as a gate intercom 30m from the house I install the Omada EAPs using their OC200 controller and the PoE switch. This also supports 5 PoE cameras and has an external Access Point along with a couple of internal ones and has excellent coverage. Downside is that it isn’t cheap - you can pick up the devices on Amazon on deals sometimes - but it does need you to know a bit about networks to install but the guides are good.

For PoE you do need decent Copper cable not CCA cable, so choose carefully. There is zero point in going CAT6, you will never be using the bandwidth as the limitation will be your device connection speeds (unless you’re running some sort of data centre in your shed ..) so CAT5e is fine. You can buy booted and shielded CAT5e FTP patch cables cheap enough in up to 30m lengths, so you don’t even need to know how to put plugs on things as there are lots of faceplates that have a socket in the back that an RJ45 plug goes straight in to. Pull 2 at a time with the plugs inside a plastic bag then inside a length of pipe insulation (works like a big needle..!) and you won’t damage the plugs. Any excess can be neatly coiled below the floor, keep it away from power cables if you can.

All easily DIY off the shelf stuff, just take your time.

Back