Why's the buisness gone bust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussianRouter

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it no wonder why some buisnesses go to the wal its because of poor stratedgy and managment.

Just made a phone call to a small welding firm for a quote on some 3mm box section milde steel tubing.

Me: could you give me a quote and pricing of 3x30x60mm box section tubing.

Him:Sorry but the manager is away till monday and I don't have the means to give you a pricing quote.

Well duh,just hope your job is safe in the future.

Another firm the sales rep actually asked if I could ring back in half an hour as they were at a meeting...bladdy hell thats no way to run a buisness.

Sheeeesh!

I find doing things like that on the phone pointless. Much better to go there and get a price. Have a look on your local industrial estates. When I needed some box section last year, I has prices varying from eye watering to happy shopper ;)

The other advantage of going in (if you only want smallish quantities) is that most smiddys or engineering works have odd lengths lying around that they will usually let you have cheap.

No good if you want large quantities, of course, and you are dead right about poor phone answers. To be fair, that's usually a problem I encounter with big companies, not small ones.

As I am often the guy at the other end of the phone, a couple of points.

Prices for steel section have risen by about twenty percent since the beginning of June, and as we have a non computerised shop just keeping up with it is a nightmare.

The other bane which we have long learned of is the chap who phones and wants a stock length or two cut up, and provides a cutting list (carefully taken down and noted).

You then spend 15 mins cutting up the nice expensive bar, and you never see hide or hair of him again, but you do have a selection of off-cuts for the bloke who drops in, in person.

Gareth

Hey guys you'remissing the point here,sure we can go down but what if we get the same remark ie "Sorry but the boss won't be in till monday,he's the onlyone with the pricing" that would really p*ss me off.

t8hants":lonvajba said:
As I am often the guy at the other end of the phone, a couple of points.

Prices for steel section have risen by about twenty percent since the beginning of June, and as we have a non computerised shop just keeping up with it is a nightmare.

Gareth

This is the guy on the othe end of the phone....that is not my problem,you're in buisness and you should know you buisness...if you want to stay afloat then make the punter want to come back to you time and time again otherwise you'll lose their respect iie I don't give a monkeys about who's at a board meeting,if you cannot deal with me phoning up for a quote or order then I'll go else where to a man who can.

Jeez, George, I sure as hell wouldn't want you as a customer.

How would you feel if you were a small company and let anyone give out prices? I can fully understand an owner wanting to be the only point of contact re pricing unless he's selling Mars bars.

RogerS":kv8038xw said:
Jeez, George, I sure as hell wouldn't want you as a customer.

How would you feel if you were a small company and let anyone give out prices? I can fully understand an owner wanting to be the only point of contact re pricing unless he's selling Mars bars.
........and even that would depend on how many TEUs of bars he wanted.

I sometimes answer the phone at work, if no-one is in the office, i dont give quotes!

As already mentioned, the material price varies incredibly month to month.

If someone came in, and wamted something welded, i'd do it and then know how long it took and how much to charge.

Little jobs not worth bothering with are often given to us to do at lunchtime. Beer money for us, customer gets his 2 inches of weld done cheap ;)

George":3vdqh0d6 said:
I don't give a monkeys about who's at a board meeting,if you cannot deal with me phoning up for a quote or order then I'll go else where to a man who can.

Your attitude sucks pineapple George- 'wind your neck in' springs to mind.

George":3vdqh0d6 said:
if you want to stay afloat then make the punter want to come back to you time and time again

If i were to take a call, and the caller had the attitude you show here, then i definitely wouldnt want you calling back.

Im not usually one to stir, but all i see on ukw lately is you being a smartass, shooting down peoples ideas/suggestions, and generally carrying on like you're gods gift. We're all equal here George, just chill out and show people a little respect.

Simon

Simon.
If you don't like it then just bypass it...simple as that.

I was simply after a quote with intentions to purchase some box section mild steel,heck you don't expect someone on the othe end saying they cannot give prices as the boss is not here....for heavens sake they have just wasted me the price of a phone call.

And what I do is all in jest,Ithink its you that needs to wind your neck in.

Most small fabrication firms do small cash sales as a favour to the local community.

You can't run that type of business on small stock sales. My boss is out getting the large orders, I and two others are making the said orders, two others are installing the finished items.

A board meeting, not on my planet, but that boss was probably getting the order that will keep the firm working for the next few weeks.

One day we may well go out of business, but it won't be because of the lack of small stock sales.

Gareth

so i'm not the only getting pi**ed off by this guy constant sh*t he comes out with, every thread you have something negative and unhelpful to say. U make out your an expert, but any one with any experience can see you dont no much. people like you put others off posting thus ruining this forum.

adidat":2rbyxo6g said:
so i'm not the only getting pi**ed off by this guy constant sh*t he comes out with, every thread you have something negative and unhelpful to say. U make out your an expert, but any one with any experience can see you dont no much. people like you put others off posting thus ruining this forum.

Aww! didums,here's your dummy back.

Ok I'll leave you to it and leave the forum.

RussianRouter":17p01rmy said:
adidat":17p01rmy said:

Aww! didums,here's your dummy back.

Ok I'll leave you to it and leave the forum.

When one complains of anothers' dummy throwing, one should always check their own pram first.

Adam

Can't say I'm RR's biggest fan, that aside, I find these 'Ooooh, Witch Hunt... I'll join' type postings rather pathetic.

Don't like his posts? Skim them when you see them. Not too hard is it?

Latest posts

Back