Why I hate working Ipê

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLFaria

Established Member
Reaction score
Sometime ago someone asked about a yellow dust producing wood, which turned out being Teak. At the time, I suggested Ipê (Tabebuia Spp.), a South American wood.
Ipê wood is practically impervious to rot and to woodworms. Due to its high oils content it doesn't glue well. It requires pre-drilling with a larger diameter drill than usual for applying screws (I once pre-drilled too small a hole - but one which would be plenty large enough in any softer wood - and broke a stainless steel screw inside an Ipê slat - never managed to take it out.
Ipê is also quite heavy, with a specific gravity higher than 1,0.
It is very hard, blunts tools easily (carbide tools suggested), and on cutting produces a very fine yellow dust which is toxic and may cause dermatitis. A sliver in the hand is very painful and often ends in infection.

Not an easy wood to work, but due to its resistance to rot, I have used it on shower slats. Well, I understandably use it as little as I can, but today I needed to plane the edge of an 18mm thick slat to make it fit. I needed to remove only about 3 or 4 mm, I have no power tools for so thin a removal (besides, using power tools inside the home with that pervading dust would be crazy), I felt a handsaw would be a little risky, so a handplane it wod have to be.

I could not take shavings of over .15mm (about .006inch), as it required too much effort and my "workbench" is a bit flimsy even when propped against a big cupboard full of books. All the time, that yellow dust seemed to ooze from the pores of the wood and got everywhere. It is a happy thing that my skin does not seem to be overly sensitive to this kind of allergenics, as in a matter of minutes my plane was overflowing with it.

The pictures below were taken at about 1/3 of the completion of the work. After that I gave up handling the camera, as anything I touched turned yellow.
Then, when you finish, everything has to be cleaned by carefully brushing (so that the dust doesn't go somewhere else) - no way I would use the household vaccum to clean that mess - then dusted with a damp rag with alcohol, and then finally vaccumed. The wood is treated likewise. The plane is taken apart, cleaned with alcohol and then oiled, and the iron needs to be honed - after just removing a 3mm thickness on an 18mm thick slat. I will leave that for tomorrow.

So - I hate working Ipê! And I have one more slat to finish!!! :cry:

Attachments

• IPÉ_001.JPG
    IPÉ_001.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IPÉ_002.JPG
    IPÉ_002.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IPÉ_003.JPG
    IPÉ_003.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 205
  • IPÉ_004.JPG
    IPÉ_004.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 205
Ah so that's what it is!

I've a few of short lengths of this stuff but I'd no idea what it was until I saw your post. They've been in the wood pile ages so I must have got it in some job lot or the other years ago.

Horrible stuff, wonder what it burns like?

Last time I used Ipe I blunted (is that a word?) a hard point saw and took chips out of a good circular saw blade. Looked great as decking and would use again!

DT

RogerP":3u8xm717 said:
Ah so that's what it is!

I've a few of short lengths of this stuff but I'd no idea what it was until I saw your post. They've been in the wood pile ages so I must have got it in some job lot or the other years ago.

Horrible stuff, wonder what it burns like?
Never tried to burn it, but here's a couple comments I read in another forum:
Quote: "A Brazillian wood used for outdoor construction. Dense as rocks and costs a fortune. It should burn hot, and long. Of course unless the poster is burning scraps it is also like burning dollar bills." Unquote
and
Quote: "I took some home and made a few things, but it will stop a drill when you drill it and it will stop a bandsaw too, since it is so hard. I also took my asetline (acetilene, I guess is meant) torch to is and it would char only and not burn. You can not put any varnish on it since it has natural oils in it that prevent it from adhearing. They also say the dust is not the greatest to breath when you saw it. " Unquote
and
Quote: "... it took hours to burn and when it was done it was still in the same shape, just all ash.
"
Unquote

As for gluing, I have re-checked some data and there are contradictory opinions - some say it glues well, especially with epoxies, other say it glues poorly. I suppose this must depend on the variety.

Tierney":3u8xm717 said:
Last time I used Ipe I blunted (is that a word?) a hard point saw and took chips out of a good circular saw blade. Looked great as decking and would use again!

DT
Decking is what it is most used for, it seems.

RogerP, you may try to sell it to Tierney, he likes the stuff! :)

bugbear":5kwnudv1 said:
I don't think I've ever seen hand planing make that much dust!

BugBear
It's not so much handplaning, it is any work that involves cutting, scraping, sanding or drilling. Sawing is the same, be it hand or power, only the mess is worse, as the dust goes floating around. As I said, yellow dust seems to ooze from the pores

Latest posts

Back