Why has my table cupped?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all you need to walk around your house, new moisture meter in hand jabbing it into random wooden objects like your dining table, kitchen units and internal doors etc, it might end up looking like your house has woodworm but at least you will have established what MC you are aiming for.

Next bring the wood into the house and store it somewhere (apparently under the bed is a popular place) on laths so air can get around it. Check the MC weekly until it's the same as your dining table etc then it's ready to use (y)

I try to store wood that's going to be used internally in my house for at least a couple of weeks before I use it but the longer the better. It's also important to try and allow for wood movement in the design of what you are making.

I do joinery for a living and encourage the use of MDF whenever possible, it's much less hassle 🙃
I like the idea of using mdf more but how do you finish it especially the edges while making it look living room quality.?

I like the idea of using mdf more but how do you finish it especially the edges while making it look living room quality.?

Most of the stuff I do is painted and MR MDF generally paints okay.

If it's Oak or something I still use solid wood for the frames etc but veneered mdf for the panels.

Shelves etc normally get a solid wood edging a few mm thick.

"Kiln Dried, yard soaked", seems to be the motto of most builders' merchants in my area. I suspect that the trend for wrapping packs of timber with plastic is not helpful, as the plastic invariably is/gets holed and then moisture can't easily get back out again.

I thought Tanalith E used organic solvents (white spirit type stuff), rather than water? Maybe there's a newer eco-friendly version.

I would not use any chemical-preservative treated timber for indoor furniture.

I think that there may be a misperception amongst one or two on this thread that C24 or C16 is a species of timber - it's simply a structural strength grading (usually applied by clever machines that can automatically inspect grain and analyse knots). Most structural timber in the UK is probably spruce, which is very strong for its density but has few other redeeming features.

Latest posts

Back