Why does my drill press make messy holes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Established Member
Reaction score
When drilling an 8mm hole in 18mm hardwood, such as poplar, oak and walnut, it's always messy and sort of split on the other side. I'm using a drill press and new drill bit. Underneath the piece being drilled is a piece of plywood. What am I doing wrong?

What drill bits are you using?

I tend to use forsner bits, drilling from one side until the point shows through the workpiece, then using the centre hole to drill from the other side.

If you have one of the cheap Chinese sets in a little wooden box, they may well need sharpening, which is easy to do with a needle file. Also, use as slow a speed as you can.

marcros":2ppzx01e said:

I tend to use forsner bits, drilling from one side until the point shows through the workpiece, then using the centre hole to drill from the other side.

I do the same thing by pre drilling with a 2 or 3mm bit to give a centre hole on both sides, then use this to locate the forstner from either side. I find it easier and more reliable than drilling with the forstner just far enough for the point to show, but not so far as to 'burst through' with the 'wings'. The smaller twist drill needs to be turning fast, and the wider forstner needs to turn slower.

monkeybiter":2wlfe78x said:
I do the same thing by pre drilling with a 2 or 3mm bit to give a centre hole on both sides, then use this to locate the forstner from either side. I find it easier and more reliable than drilling with the forstner just far enough for the point to show, but not so far as to 'burst through' with the 'wings'. The smaller twist drill needs to be turning fast, and the wider forstner needs to turn slower.

+1

monkeybiter":b9m51qbj said:
marcros":b9m51qbj said:

good tip. cheers

phil.p":1bxtwbbi said:
Can you actually buy an 8mm forstner bit? I've never seen one that small.

I couldn't see any when I did a quick scan of Axminster's forstner bits page, but there's an 8mm plug cutter and matching forstner bit in their 8-15mm plug cutting set, which is currently on special offer.

Hope this helps

John

Back