why are these drill bits tapered?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're not for drilling through things, they're for drill fixed depth blind holes for screws.
Thanks for the reply, I had realised they were for making holes for screw, hence the countersink, it was just the taper that confused me, as the threads and core of a screw are not tapered (just the tip) I don't see the need to taper a hole.

I'll give them a try and see if i can feel a difference

But old wood screws were tapered!
As you can see from the photos, we have a large selection of screws; some of which are obsolete. From my experience, I can tell you that old wood screws were parallel. When I started my apprenticeship in 1956, I was taught that you were allowed to knock the screw in the length of the plain bit of the shank as, with the crews being parallel, it made a hole the right size for the plain bit of the shank. Also, if you measure across the slot of the screw in 16ths of an inch and multiply it by 2 and then subtract 2 it gave you the gauge of the screw. I am now 81 years of age and still go to work every day; I must be mad!

Attachments

• IMG_8850.jpg
    IMG_8850.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8851.jpg
    IMG_8851.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8852.jpg
    IMG_8852.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8853.jpg
    IMG_8853.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I am not disputing your measurements or experience of what I would term “modern” screws 😀

While it is quite possible that the tapered screws I am thinking off pre-dated the drills described, but they did exist and are briefly referred to here.

Latest posts

Back