Who's a happy bunney now then!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayo

Established Member
Reaction score
After my disaster with a cheap c**p scroll saw (see my thread Not a happy bunny) I picked up my new second hand Hegner Multicut 2 today and Wow what a difference. This isn't the one I had my eye on but thought I would give Alan (Altheo) a ring as I knew he had a hegner sat on his work bench. After a little chat a price was agreed and hey presto the rest is history.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Alan (Altheo) on a fantastic deal I'm over the moon, thank you Alan.

I'd also like to point out to other potential scroll saw buyers listen to the advice from more experienced members on the forum they know what they are talking about don't buy cheap rubbish if you can't afford one yet save up you won't be disappointed with a hegner.

My new to me pride and joy

Yes it's in cracking condition. Alan said he has not used it for ten years and it had very little use before that. Alan advised me to give it a bit of a service before I use it so will be asking what needs doing to it for a service. I looked in the manual and it says lubricate regularly with Vaseline oil the central pivot of upper and lower arm. Apart from this the multicut does not require any maintenance. Happy days.

That's the same saw as I have got.
Just to let you know that although it is a Multi-cut 2 saw it is the same as the newer version Multi-cut 1.
Confusing I know..... (hammer)
But just so you know if you have to order any spares or accessories.

Ah right thanks for that. I'll be looking at getting the dust extractor kit which I've seen on the Hegner web site.

Great news, congrats on the new Saw.

If it didn't come with it, keep your eye out for the foot switch....

A brilliant accessory, that and the quick release are very good additions to a Hegner.

I have the stand as well and really like it, very sturdy and lets me move it around for those awkward long pieces.

Have fun !!!

Nice one mate :D

Just be careful on here - You might be called a Hegner snob for preferring a good machine :wink:

Hope all goes well , anything I can do to help you only have to ask.

M

Thanks Toesy,

Yes I will be looking to ad a few accessories to it but will have to save up first, I've given my wallet a bit of a bashing over the last few weeks. One of the things I'm also looking at is the quick release for the blade the one with the knob on the side, that looks a very handy piece of kit.

M P Hales":10eihf7j said:
Nice one mate :D

Just be careful on here - You might be called a Hegner snob for preferring a good machine :wink:

Hope all goes well , anything I can do to help you only have to ask.

M

Thanks Martin, Not a snob just a happy Hegner owner lol. Should have listened to the advice before I went out and bought that other one. I did a search in the buying advice section before I bought it and all advised the Hegner That'll teach me not to listen won't it lol.

Better tell the missus you might be missing for a while. :)

There's a thread on here about foot switches. Myself and someone else bought the same one from China for about £12 and it's a big solid footswitch, although you do have to wire it yourself. The Hegner switch is 80 odd pounds! On my first Chinese footswitch, the microswitch broke, but the dealer replaced the complete footswitch, no questions asked. I bought another microswitch for a couple of quid and repaired the first one so I have a spare.

Well done. So pleased for you. I was going to say what Martin said to be careful you are not called a Hegner snob but as you have experienced, the Hegner is a different ball game altogether from the cheapie saws. You have a great saw and it will give you many years of faithful service. Re-the oiling. 3 in 1 oil is good for the bearings and just a drop on each side of each arm will keep the bearings running as sweet as a nut. Enjoy

Congrats on the new saw, it's a beauty and looks in a great condition. I'm sure you'll notice the difference straight away.

Before you start spending your wife's housekeeping, try it out first and cut a few things. You may find that you won't need some of the things on your list.

Also, notice that it doesn't have a hold down clamp. That's because with a quality saw the wood usually stays nice and flat to the table and it isn't difficult to keep the wood pressed flat to the table. Notice how most cheapie saws DO come with a hold down clamp.

The quick release facility is a must when cutting out intricate patterns as you're constantly threading the blade from area to area. All that doing up and undoing will drive you nuts without one.

Barry

Thank you all for the advice. I had a quick go last night and finished off my granddaughters name plate, it did seem to be a lot faster that that cheap one I bought and yes a big improvement totally different machines.

Re the quick release is that something I can buy from Hegner ??? I was looking at Mike's workshop website he has got something called a quickleaver for hegner saws at $6.95 is this the same type of thing ???

Many thanks

Graham

In my opinion the Hegner quick clamp is better than using a Bristol handle, (Mike's quicklever), though should you want one of those, you can buy one in the UK. Having said that, I have fitted Bristol handles to a couple of budget machines to make them easier to use. The quick clamp from Hegner is about £20 http://www.hegner.co.uk/Quick-Clamp-for-Piercework

BTW, if you buy the Hegner quick clamp, you can use the original clamp as a spare bottom clamp with a blade ready fitted.

The Hegner quick clamp is way over priced IMHO but it is also essential, once you have used one you will find it indispensable.

I use my quick clamp all the time with my Hegner, I never use a normal top clamp.

If you only buy one Hegner accessory make certain it is the Quick clamp!

Great thanks for the link Martin I'll be getting one of those. Also there is something called a quick tensioner ??? what are these like ??? is there any benefit to having one of those as well.

Cheers

Graham

I think, if it will fit on your saw, you would have to buy a quick tensioner to replace the tension rod at the back of the saw. I'm pretty sure the one at the front can't be retro-fitted as it would mean changing the top arm, which would get expensive. I'd guess the one for the back isn't cheap either, even if it will fit your saw. I wouldn't think it necessary unless you were in a time=money situation, in which case you would probably buy a new saw anyway. Not meaning you specifically.

Looks like the rear quick tension does fit your saw. http://www.hegner.co.uk/Quick-Release-Tension-Rod

Thanks again Martin. Yes the price is a bit steep for what it is so think I'll just stick with the quick clamp for now. I found out last night when having a play around that using the allen key can be a bit of a pain so will be changing that asap.

Many thanks

Graham

scrimper":306jwiuo said:
The Hegner quick clamp is way over priced IMHO but it is also essential, once you have used one you will find it indispensable.

I use my quick clamp all the time with my Hegner, I never use a normal top clamp.

If you only buy one Hegner accessory make certain it is the Quick clamp!

I think I must be invisible! :(

Back