Who makes one of these?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
1662373652106.png

Anyone any idea who makes or where you can get something like this, something like a ruler with a stop but much heavier and no flex. For me it is an ideal solution to aligning dowel jigs from an end and being bulkier will contact an area much better than a ruler or the Kreg version.

Hi Mike

Yes Woodpeckers, great products and quality but expensive for what I am wanting. I am not looking to set to an accurate measurement, just a reference so that I can use that for say aligning a dowel jig the same distance from the end I am using as the datum on multiple workpieces or two to set a parallel on a job. I have been thinking that maybe I could get the benchdogs parallel guides for my tracksaw and they would also perform this task as well.

Have I seen Ishitani with a larger version of those vernier scribe/depth gauges?
Doesn't appear so from looking, so guessing it's another prominent youtuber.
I wanted to see if it was substantially larger myself, as I've seen regular verniers twice as large.

Last edited:
I’ve used the incra marking gauge for simple setting out and marking the centre of stock , not to expensive and quite a useful tool. Once set up it doesn’t move . I got it from woodworkers w/s if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• 5AFE8B27-0584-4B62-B1B2-31EC4BEE519E.jpeg
    5AFE8B27-0584-4B62-B1B2-31EC4BEE519E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • B11A1491-66FD-4FDD-961A-E9B7DE00DD54.jpeg
    B11A1491-66FD-4FDD-961A-E9B7DE00DD54.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I have been thinking in a very radical way, maybe it would be just as easy to make some from hardwood offcuts rather than look at the easier option of buying off the shelf. Perhaps @Peter Sefton might think about adding some AUK ones to the range!

Similar would be straight forward to make from plastic or something like tufnol with a router. If careful aluminium can also be cut with a router, or could be done with a drill hacksaw and file.

Otherwise it’s exactly the sort of stuff coming on the slow boat from China from AliExpress/Banggood etc

So what is this stuff coming on the slow boat from China from AliExpress/Banggood like, I am not looking for quality such as that from Jessem or Woodpeckers just a simple end stop ruler to give a repeatable distance rather than a precise measurement.

I just have a bad vision of this Bang good brigade being backstreet metal bashers but anyone have one to say otherwise?

You can watch the China Tools (Banggood) review videos by Dennis at Hooked on Wood. He reviews a lot of tools from Banggood, but I think they also sponsor him, so use your own judgement about the impartiality.

You can watch the China Tools (Banggood) review videos by Dennis at Hooked on Wood. He reviews a lot of tools from Banggood, but I think they also sponsor him, so use your own judgement about the impartiality.

Banggood did a huge run of providing much higher-than-amazon affiliate commissions last year. The result was an enormous number of "reviews" that were just attempts to harvest affiliate commissions up to 35%.

Amazon here offers something like 2-4% typically (I don't do any of that stuff, but once in a while will get emails urging me to sell ads on a YT channel or explore affiliate options).

Youtube is pretty much a site of independent insurance agent types "do you have any relatives who need life insurance? Let me know who they are!!" just operating a different way. Or to put it differently, it used to be sort of passive marketing with ads and content creators who started from thinking making videos was fun and then google turned on the ad revenue. When the ad revenue rates got cut, the affiliate marketing and direct payment promoters seized the opportunity to pretty much make pure push marketing (but veiled) the way to go.

And so, we end up with people like stumpy nubs, who are unable to do much of anything, pretending they're giving recommendations when the product or revenue source is now the first thought and trying to come up with a contrived video is a distant second or 99th.

So what is this stuff coming on the slow boat from China from AliExpress/Banggood like, I am not looking for quality such as that from Jessem or Woodpeckers just a simple end stop ruler to give a repeatable distance rather than a precise measurement.

There's a 200-300MM stainless steel array offering shown on aliexpress that has markings only on one side but much finger than the aluminum and plastic offerings. Slightly different and who knows how tight it is, but the whole thing is steel and the handwheel looks like it is, too.

$15 with shipping for us in the US.

you can search something like "Stainless Steel Marking Ruler Ruler 200mm 250mm 300mm" and probably find it and then get a bunch of similar listings in the "relevant other items" bubbles next to the listing.

Back