Who made this TYZACK panel plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentontool

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Who made this TYZACK screw-sided, cast, panel plane? (Please excuse the dust!)
The Tote is rather on the smallish side...
Looks like rosewood to me.

01 SIDE dsc03418.jpg

02 SKEW dsc03419.jpg

03 Trademark dsc03420.jpg

04 BUN dsc03422.jpg

I've got one of Tyzack's catalogues from about 1910 (regrettably it's not dated) and your plane is similar to their No. 246 Steel Panel and Jointer plane "Steel frame, Rosewood body, Gun-metal lever". It was available in various lengths from 13½" to 26½" and widths from 2½" upwards. It's described as "Best Quality, London made; Specially made for workers in Hard Wood".

I've never heard that Tyzack, as tool merchants, made their own tools. I imagine that they bought them in with their own branding.

Les

Tyzack went through several iterations and often resold products from other manufacturers under their own brand. I have a Tyzack rabbet plane, a Tyzack saw, my dodgy old table saw is Tyzack Zyto branded, and also my metal lathe. I think I have a Tyzack screwdriver somewhere too.

Tyzack went through several iterations and often resold products from other manufacturers under their own brand. ......
Most brand names did and still do the same. Lots of sub contracting, buying in, out-working, from other firms large and small. It's how things are made. Nowadays may be made entirely in the far east sometimes to a brand name's specification, sometimes just bought and rebranded.

Most brand names did and still do the same. Lots of sub contracting, buying in, out-working, from other firms large and small. It's how things are made. Nowadays may be made entirely in the far east sometimes to a brand name's specification, sometimes just bought and rebranded.
Indeed, I’m just pointing out that the OPs question isn’t such a stupid question, it may well be that his infill plane came from a factory somewhere that may have possibly been Preston or Norris (or more likely a small toolmaker shop somewhere ). It looks pretty decent quality.

Same as faithful / spear and Jackson etc

Tyzacks is a well-respected tool shop still going strong in East London - https://www.tyzacktools.com/ still selling some own brand planes.

I used to buy tools there when I lived in London, superb shop.
My current contract takes me close to the shop and I have visited. Some nice tools available and very friendly staff.

Indeed, I’m just pointing out that the OPs question isn’t such a stupid question, it may well be that his infill plane came from a factory somewhere that may have possibly been Preston or Norris (or more likely a small toolmaker shop somewhere ). It looks pretty decent quality.
IMO, the plane is a good one. Hefty, solid casting, nice wood, screw, and lever cap. Works well, but the tote is small for my hands (despite a three-finger grip).

Might be a long shot but it could be Tyzack. I have a couple of Tyzach saws. They are known for saws but they could well have made, or at least finished planes as well.
I was chuckling to myself yesterday... remembering your comment on the apron... as I was busy (and annoyed) emptying copious amounts of sawdust and wood chips from my vest pockets. Perhaps I should have given your comment the respect it is obviously due... :LOL:

It looks very simarlar to this henry slater panel plane apart from knurling on lever cap

View attachment 179335
Yes indeed! The casting appears to be identical, and the lever cap very similar, save for the trademark & lever cap screw. Thank you! Slater is one of my favorite makers!
I now have a "lead" with which to do further research!

Last edited:
Back