white or yellow

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tusses

Established Member
Reaction score
carpenters glue

well thats what the Americans call it !

what do we call it and what's the difference ?

ta

Hi,

I assumed Carpenters glue was for fixing Carpenters, or it was made form them. :)

Pete

I presume it is PVA. I've not seen it with a yellow colour though, always white. Maybe the yellow is the bog standard stuff (I get that impression when Norm :norm: talks about it) and the white stuff if the waterproof one. Just guessing though.

No, that's not quite right. I always thought so too, and was recently put right, although I still don't know what the differences are, I just know that is is not only a case of adding some yellow dye.

The problem is that yellow glue has never caught on over here, and as far as I know there are no UK manufacturers. You can probably buy it mail order, but you won't find any in B&Q, I don't think.

I'll ask DaveR if he can throw any light on the matter.

Cheers
Steve

My very first bottle of wood glue was a Unibond (like this one, which was yellow. Worked as well as any wood glue I've ever used (I've since used Evostick white wood glue, and Titebond yellow).

It seems to be a common assumption in the US that yellow is for wood and white is for card/craft applications - although I've seen at least a few US woodworkers promoting white glue. Not sure what the chemical differences would be.

Wasn't the big difference between yellow and white PVA the open time? ie. titebond I versus II

Titebond from axminster is the yellow glue, and its yellow

the pva glue as we know it here from unibond is white

I personally am more used to working with Polyurathane

Mcluma":2bxuhuhn said:

I like it too for is fast curing - ready to carry on working again properties .

I'd be interested to know how you store yours ..... I find it forms a skin when the bottle is half used, if it isnt used for a few days.

what brand do you use ?

I don't know if this will shed any light or not but here's what I know. Admittedly it isn't much.

Both white and yellow glues are PVAs. The two types are low grade (craft, school or hobby glue) and high grade (professional/industrial glue). The typical white glue in the US is Elmer's school glue. In the 70s I used it on woodworking projects and never had any trouble.

Since I started woodworking again in 1999, I've used Titebond because that's what the local DIY stores sell. I haven't paid much attention to the variety of wood glues out there and I don't know if there are high grade PVAs in white but I imagine the primary reason for the yellowish color is marketing. To separate it from "school glue". The high grade PVAs cure harder than low grade PVAs, they are stronger, machine better and show less creep. They are also more resistant to water--Tite Bond III is supposed to be waterproof though I haven't personally tested that.

The term "Aliphatic Resisn" is a marketing thing, too. It was coined to separate the high grade PVAs from the low grade.

Hope that's useful.

Thanks Dave - that helps a lot :)

so I guess the white 'school' glue is cheaper and 'will do' for some jobs ?

and 'will do' for some jobs ?

Not on some 'red' woods, it leaves dark stains. I changed to Tite Bond to over comer that problem and have 'stuck' with it ever since.

Roy.

:wink: The difference between white and yellow glue is chemical. Yellow glue has aliphatic resin added to it giving it a faster tack but otherwise had the same strength as white pva glue.
Having said that, I'm using a brand of white pva which claims curing after 10 mins and removal of clamps after one hour.
All work well, they are ony limited by the ambient temp which should not be below 5* centrigade.

cheers.

Having done some more reading, there is no difference between 'yellow' and 'white' other than the color pigment used by the manufacturer. The properties such as the high tack, longer or shorter open type is dependent on the brand of glue. Some manufacturers colour their high tack glue yellow others do not. Only the combination of the color and the brand says domething about the properties for some brands. such as titebond white and off-white for titebond I and II.

Readng the label is more userfull than reading the colour.

Aliphatic resin is, by definition a straight or branched chain hydrocarbon compound. Polyvinyl acetate (PVA, aka carpenters glue, wood glue etc etc) is, you've guessed it, an aliphatic resin. Manufacturers may put in other additives to modify open time, initial grab etc, but to say that one has "aliphatic resin" added is a bit like saying water with H2O added.

Tusses":18qvdkdk said:
Mcluma":18qvdkdk said:

I like it too for is fast curing - ready to carry on working again properties .

I'd be interested to know how you store yours ..... I find it forms a skin when the bottle is half used, if it isnt used for a few days.

what brand do you use ?

aha

I cheat, i use these

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40778/Kit ... sive-310ml

i can trully recommend these, i have been using this stuff for over 5 years and i have completely done away with yellow or white glue

I still have 2 gallon bottles here from titebond, and i hardly use it.

the ease of use of the polyurethane is so much better

but one word of caution...always were gloves :p :p :p :p :p

George_N":l7bi2i0o said:
Aliphatic resin is, by definition a straight or branched chain hydrocarbon compound. Polyvinyl acetate (PVA, aka carpenters glue, wood glue etc etc) is, you've guessed it, an aliphatic resin. Manufacturers may put in other additives to modify open time, initial grab etc, but to say that one has "aliphatic resin" added is a bit like saying water with H2O added.

Thanks George N
that sounds logical but permit me to quote from an article by John Lloyd in the May issue of F+C : " the only yellow glues that I have come across in the U.K are made by Titebond and and my understanding is that Titebond original and Titebond 2 are PVA's that have an aliphatic resin added to them "
Its not a bad article and of course I was quoting from him. Personally I prefer yellow glue .

cheers.

Back