Which would you buy - XCalibur or Record Power?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwilby

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from this earlier thread:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=29201

However, I'm not looking to buy one of the 800 series XCalibur products (can't fit it in my garage really - same issue as re the DEFT), but rather a little brother:

10" Tilting Arbor Table Saw TC10RAA
http://www.woodfordwm.co.uk/acatalog/info_173.html

verses:

Record Power TS200C:
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php? ... CARTONS%29

The RP wasn't too highly regarded in the posts I found but I can get it here in Finland via the Finnish importer. It doesn't have a standard USA-size mitre slot, but I can get it machined out to fit one. I've had quite extensive discussions with the Finnish importer and they seem very helpful and would provide a good warranty service.

On the other hand I know very little about the Xcalibur beyond what's written in the web page. It looks quite similar to this jet contractors saw:

http://woodworking.jettools.com/Product ... cat=333605

which I've always quite admired (it features in all of the incra literature and video), but doesn't seem to be available in Europe.

I once got a quote from Roy for shipping an 806 out to my neck of the woods so I think the 10" contractor saw should be just as easy to ship (am waiting for him to confirm)... I'm also double-checking the mitre slot size, but since there are plenty of osbourne+Xcalibur users, I'm presuming that it will be a standard USA size.

What would you opt for? Am I crazy to even contemplate the record power?

I would not touch the record. I've seen it in the flesh and wasn't impressed. Also a member on here has posted negative comments about it to confirm my thoughts.

I haven't checked. But isn't that xcalibur basically the same as the little Axminster TS? If so I think the Axi is cheaper and well spoke of around these parts.

Hi Wizer

Thanks for the comments. I read you weren't too impressed in person. What were the main things which put you off?

The axi is a no-no because of it's non-standard mitre gauge slot. Were it not for that, it would be ideal.

It was mainly a 'feeling'. I was unimpressed about the general finish of the whole machine. It all felt a bit plasticy and lightweight. On paper it looks like a really good saw and I nearly bought one unseen. I was glad that I went to see it in the flesh. Having also looked at the larger saws in their range, I wouldn't touch Record's current line of machinery. Just my personal opinion.

I haven't heard anyone buy an xcalibur machine for a while. But they have always been well spoke of. I believe we have some members who own them. It was high on my list when I was considering a TS. I want for a cabinet saw in the end, but I think I would have ended up with this otherwise.

I haven't seen it in the flesh myself yet (not sure if I will or not), but it doesn't look as substantial as the xcalibur. For example, the sliding table is aluminium - and the mitre gauge slot is in the sliding table part, not actually in the cast iron. Otherwise, and assuming I can get the slot machined out okay, it might be doable. It's a lot more expensive here though (but then, that's true of everything really TBH*... )

The Xcalibur also takes the dreaded D. Which as a normite, is somewhat appealing (I don't want to start a 'D' debate, I've read the threads!).

I reckon I'll go with the Xcalibur if I can persuade Roy to ship it to me and the mitre slot is as I expect.

* perhaps good quality birch ply is a hair cheaper!

I have posted my not-so-positive feedback on the TS200C recently if you search my comments. My gripe is not so much with the saw unit (which is very heavy and solidly built) but with the complete lack of thought that has gone into the rest of the unit. They have crammed everything into the smallest unit possible and crippled a perfectly good saw in the process. I find it hard to believe it ever went through an evaluation before going into production.

If you're happy tinkering with it to rectify it's many drawbacks (pathetic adjustment of the sliding beam, useless dust extraction, stupidly positioned switch....) then go for it but be aware you'll be at it for a while. I agree the saw could do with a mitre slot in the top and have mentioned it to an RP rep. I'm not sure you could do this to the production model as the top is fairly thin - it's light enough to handle on your own - the weight is in the saw unit which are very heavy.

Brian

bjm":j4tw6mo2 said:
I have posted my not-so-positive feedback on the TS200C recently

Thanks BJM. I've read your feedback and it's very helpful, thanks. Seems that the owners vs reviewers differ in opinion quite widely. I'm not liking the way the left hand side mitre slots runs in the sliding table rather than in the cast iron.... and of course, as mentioned the mitre slot is non standard.

Waka":j4tw6mo2 said:
I have the Xcalibur, you won't be disappointed with it.

Hi waka. You've got the big brother of the one I'm contemplating, which is the smaller 10" 'contractor'-type store:

http://www.woodfordwm.co.uk/acatalog/info_173.html

I'm not sure if this has a riving knife, and also, I'm not sure this is anything like the quality of the bigger machines. However, its reasonably small and therefore more portable... and I'm hoping it has standard mitre gauge slots. I should hear from Roy early next week, so let's see...

LarryS":j4tw6mo2 said:
i've got one and had that issue, got round it by buying these...

Hi Paul. The Axi would be ideal were it not for the mitre gauge slots. I already have some accessories that are reliant on a USA standard size.

I think the only two real options are a full-size Deft, or then a smaller XCalibur. Let's see what Roy @ Woodford can tell me about the latter during this week :)

i have the 805 with the sliding table ,i got the osbourne mitre gauge to go with it ,well worth it .the mitre slot is 3/4 x3/8 yankee size, what a change from the screamer i had before (brush motor ). i paid £475 in january 05 it has well paid for its self .get one you know it makes sense. frank

Hiya

I have this Xcaliber, pics take when assembling it so no fence fitted at that time.

DSC_5469.jpg

DSC_5466.jpg

Very happy for last 3 years but have upgraded to an Incra Mitre gauge and Freud blades, takes a dado blade and std slots. Could use a more accurate fence adjuster but not enough to make me change it.

Pretty quiet and smooth, a real workhorse and easy to set up accurately. Has stays square over the 3 years and light enough to move about on the mobile stand.

HTH

Gareth,

Brilliant! Thank you for taking the time to post this and the photos. It sounds like it really ticks all the boxes then. Induction I presume based upon the noise level?

I'm really torn between this and the Deft (ruled out Record Power I think).

Hmm... difficult decisions ahead!

You are welcome. Yup induction motor that hangs out the back as per most Delta contractor saw clones. I have an office very near the Woodford place (could not really call it a show room, more a warehouse) and was able to pop in to see in the flesh and bought on the spot. Borrowed a mates estate car to take it home to save the delivery charge.

Hello Blister. Yes... unfortunately it's brush-based and has a non-standard mitre slot. I'm also loathed to buy this Bosch when I noticed that Bosch USA produce a more advanced version which (probably for the usual reasons) is not available in Europe.

I puchased the 804 a few years ago.
Dont know if they still got them, but the American blade guard is rubbish and was soon replaced with a home made guard out of plywood.

xcalibur.JPG

New Guard.
Blade-Gaurd.jpg

If you do go for the Xcalibur, dont forget to ask for discount , or even the stacked dado cutter thrown in. :wink:

Cheers guys. I didn't realise this was known as the 804 model. I though the 80x were the big boys toys :)

Thanks for your pics also Mr. Sawdust Producer. They really help to get a feel for the size (the photos on the woodford site are rubbish!).

Will defo ask for a discount. This saw is about the highest priced in its class... I'm not really sure what I'm paying for (besides my fussy feature list, i.e. standard mitre slot) when you compare it with the Scheppach's, Axys etc of this world.

I notice you don't have the sliding table? Was that not available when you purchased or have you removed and replaced it with something else?

Stupid question, but since Roy still hasn't contacted me, is it a left or right tilt saw?

How do you find the table flatness?

When you say guard, do you mean the throat insert plate or do you mean the entire guarding assembly? (or both?). I notice that both look to have been exchanged in the 2nd pic... so presumably both are rubbish? If so, do you mind me asking what was up with the guard? It looks okay from the top pic (in so much as I can tell)... was it just a bit flimsy/poorly made?

TIA!

Gareth and Sawdust Producer, could I ask a couple more favours?

Any chance of some pics of the back of the saw?

I'm interested in the mitre gauge slot length (or in other words, the table depth) and also how much the motor hangs out the back. If you happen to go by your workshops any time in the next few days, I don't suppose you could run a tape measure over it? :)

I'd like to be able to push it back against a wall so I'm wondering what kind of footprint it might have?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Back