Which wood glue?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crumpet

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m a newbie. I’ve just cut out all the pieces of solid oak for a little train for my granddaughter’s birthday. I’d be grateful for any recommendations for the best wood glue to use. Thanks in advance 😊

Everbuild 502. less than half the price of T.3. and readily available.
How does this compare to T.3 apart from being cheaper, I am not a wood glue expert and have been using T.3 with good results because it was recomended but always open to suggestions. What is the open time because I use a lot of dowels ? Is it a case of Titebond is pushed at woodworking whilst Everbuild is aimed at the building sector, they do have a vast range of products including Stixall which I have occasionally used instead of Sikaflex and Sika now own everbuild anyway.

The open time isn't bad - certainly compared to Everbuild D4, which can be dangerously quick in hot weather. I use both, 502 has a much longer shelf life, 12 months from manufacture, but I'm using one that's over two years old (I use far more D4). I'm lucky to get more than six months from D4 - as far as I've read D4 technically isn't a PVA.
Many people's go to used to be Resin W, now it's Titebond. Both of these and many others are fine glues, but I can still buy 502 for about £6 a litre which is good enough for me. I've not read of its failing anyone.

Likewise - Ever Build 502; got mine from eBay
Can you post photos to show us the parts ?

Likewise - Ever Build 502; got mine from eBay
Can you post photos to show us the parts ?
The 502 worked a treat - all done and ready to give my granddaughter for her 2nd birthday this weekend 😊. Thanks for you recommendation

Attachments

• A6F90579-C078-47B2-82A9-895020CACC4D.jpeg
    A6F90579-C078-47B2-82A9-895020CACC4D.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
@Crrumpet; Looks fantastic !!

Just dug out my clarinet, not played it for 25 years
I'm trying to learn 'Happy Birthday' in time for our youngest grand-daughter's birthday; Lucy will be 2 in October

Morning all, can I just hijack the thread please. I too use Everbuild 502 and find it good glue although it does cure a bit faster than ordinary pva. My question is, after I glued up some oak I noticed a grey coloured staining where I had wiped off the squeeze out with a damp piece of kitchen roll, which when dried left the grey stain.This really took some sanding to get rid of . I just wondered if this is common with 502 or is it something peculiar with this particular piece of wood, or was it something I did
Cheers all.

Morning all, can I just hijack the thread please. I too use Everbuild 502 and find it good glue although it does cure a bit faster than ordinary pva. My question is, after I glued up some oak I noticed a grey coloured staining where I had wiped off the squeeze out with a damp piece of kitchen roll, which when dried left the grey stain.This really took some sanding to get rid of . I just wondered if this is common with 502 or is it something peculiar with this particular piece of wood, or was it something I did
Cheers all.
All the PVA glues will leave a residue after wiping them away. Often it doesn't show up until you apply a finish. I tend to wait until they have dried to a rubbery consistency or you could use blue tape to mask the joints - if you have the patience. :rolleyes:

wiped off the squeeze out with a damp piece of kitchen roll
That way you're just spreading it about. Really it's better to wash it off. When using Cascamite (et al) or PVA, once the cramps are on I'd get a bowl of warm soapy water and a paint brush and wash off any squeeze-out, then dry with a cloth.

Thanks all for the replies. I've never had the greyish residue left before, its always been clearish and sanded off easily this had gone about 1/2 mm into the oak and was an absolute bu...r to get off!

Back