Treating chopping board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made an ash chopping board that our wedding cake sat upon, 18 years ago. Used it every day since, never oiled or put anything else on it. Just washed and dried, still going strong. I do not know where the idea of putting mineral oil or even worst still wax onto a board that should be scrubbed in hot water with an oil and wax dissolving agent in came from. Probably some con artist wanting to see their special spoon wax or board oil. Oil stuff when selling to the public, it does not get as dirty so fast but continuously oiling such an item is a waste of time and money.

I made an ash chopping board that our wedding cake sat upon, 18 years ago. Used it every day since, never oiled or put anything else on it. Just washed and dried, still going strong. I do not know where the idea of putting mineral oil or even worst still wax onto a board that should be scrubbed in hot water with an oil and wax dissolving agent in came from. Probably some con artist wanting to see their special spoon wax or board oil. Oil stuff when selling to the public, it does not get as dirty so fast but continuously oiling such an item is a waste of time and money.
Hmmm... not sure anyone mentioned "a board that should be scrubbed in hot water with an oil and wax dissolving agent".
As far as I'm aware the idea of oiling a chopping board is to prevent it drying out and cracking and splitting. Probably also helps close pores to possible colonisation by undesirable bacteria. As to washing; a quick wipe with a damp cloth is usually all that's needed. Add a bit of detergent if the board is soiled with unpleasant stuff.
Re-oiling should be done once in a blue moon, depending on how often its used.

Latest posts

Back