Which wood for an outside box ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would assume that this bin storage is not going to be the focal point of your garden. Just use fencing materials.

I’d just use tannelised roofing batten and paint it with bedec barn paint. Cheap and cheerful.

IMG_3130.jpeg

Mostly pallet wood with a few bits of treated timber for the frame.

Not sure that you can still get creosote. For the dyslexics amongst us there is the confusingly similar Creocote, - not the same, and there is Creoseal as well, which is an oil based substitute. All the useful coal-tar stuff seems to have disappeared, including the original Jeye's Fluid.
You can still buy proper Creosote [wood-derived]. Biut only in 20 litre barrels, for "professional" use.

I’ve seen several of those Keter storage systems in my neighbourhood and all of them have simply fallen apart in very short time. The lids seem first to fail or the doors - whichever design as appropriate.

Similarly the sheds seem very flimsy and not very storm proof.

As previous, pallets can be disassembled to provide useful wood; or partially disassembled and transformed into all manner of storage; e.g. log stores, bin houses in various designs.

To separate the pallet sections, simply use a bolster chisel to open up a small gap between each strip and the block(s) and then a hacksaw or multi tool with a metal cutting blade to cut through the nails. Whilst you may lose the odd strip of wood, you’ll recover most if not all with a little patience.

I have two Keter storage box's in my garden one for all the non essential stuff from my Greenhouse and the other for gardening equipment, both have faired excellently, neither have fell apart or leaked in the three years we have been using them.

the keter sheds eventually warp, the sides will bend and shelves come crashing down because it relies on them being straight.

Back