Which wood for an outside box ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cisamcgu

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to make a box to hold various recycling buckets and bags. It will sit outside, exposed to weather and sun.

1685877321686.png

What timber would be best ? Plywood covered with roofing felt ? Pine strips butted together ?

The bottom will be slatted to allow and rainwater to drip through, and the roof will be sloped slightly, but I am unsure of what is best for the construction of the walls and roof.

Many thanks

Andrew

old growth burmese teak, sweet chesnut, western red cedar, larch would all be good.

Western red cedar.
But the design and detailing is more important than the timber.

Does it have to be solid timber?
I would probably use some of that black weatherproof ply.

I did something similar using surplus featherboard fencing pales. It's used to hold garden tools but is out in the open and so far, it's been fine. Felted roof, sloping as you have suggested.
Would certainly be a much cheaper option than some of the wood species mentioned.

Do you have a link for this ?
Not in the UK. Here is an example of a supplier local to me here in Finland:
Filmivaneri 1 F/V 1250x2500 Kilo
Their pictures only show the rough side. The other side is smooth, like melamine. I have seen it after it has been outside for years and it has still been structurally sound.

If you do want solid wood, you could use heat-treated wood. I got some from:
Thermoholz | Professional thermal treatment since 1997
to use for a deck 10 or 15 years ago and it is still fine. I have never put any treatment on it, so it discolours to am unattractive grey, but it doesn't rot. If you put a finish on it you can get it to look better than mine does, but I am too lazy to do that on a regular basis.

Make it out of Accoya timber. last for years and will not rot, they even make Accoya MDF that can be used outdoors and will not rot.

I had a similar challenge in our new house for recycling bins. The solution was not remotely woodworky - a galvanised shelving unit. Quick and cheap ~£50. Not very pretty but better than a range of battered plastic boxes.

Not in the UK. Here is an example of a supplier local to me here in Finland:
Filmivaneri 1 F/V 1250x2500 Kilo
Their pictures only show the rough side. The other side is smooth, like melamine. I have seen it after it has been outside for years and it has still been structurally sound.

If you do want solid wood, you could use heat-treated wood. I got some from:
Thermoholz | Professional thermal treatment since 1997
to use for a deck 10 or 15 years ago and it is still fine. I have never put any treatment on it, so it discolours to am unattractive grey, but it doesn't rot. If you put a finish on it you can get it to look better than mine does, but I am too lazy to do that on a regular basis.

That ply is available in the Uk. I have some, but I’m afraid I don’t know the source!

Sometimes branded as "Buffalo board", it's phenolic faced plywood. Used for lining trailers and the like. It is indeed fairly tolerant of outdoor conditions. Not cheap, the stuff I've used has been bought as offcuts.

But have you seen the price of it ?

Standard 18mmx8x4 MDF - £30
Accoya 18mmx8x4 MDF - £250

And if you thought the above was expensive ..

Some folk must be made of money :LOL:

Go buy a couple of decking boards from B&Q ;)
My thoughts exactly. You know another timber that doesn't rot? Huon Pine. I'm not sure you'd even be able to get enough of it, irrespective of cost.

No timber is going to just rot, and even bog standard white pine is going to take a number of years before it starts breaking down, and that is it being in contact with the ground.
Paint especially multiple coats are going to go a long way to protecting it.
Creosote is the traditional finish(if you can call it that) that prevents rot, and for the OP's box, that on the underside thats in contact with the ground is going to work well.
Roofing felt on the top and sides will keep out the majority of the sun and rain.

I suggested decking timber because for example my Sisters decking been down for over 20 years and only gets a coat of some coloured preservative once every few years and it is fine. So that along with a finish like creosote or linseed or tung or paint along with the felt and the structure will still be standing 30 years from now.

How about recycling some pallets? They easily adapt to become an airy but still dry storage system; in my case a log store. For the roof... I used shiplap (18mm) and that was almost my only major expense in terms of construction apart from some suitable treatment to increase wood preservation/water proofing. I had some spare tanalised 2x1 and 3x1 for used is constructing the sides; left the the front open.

Pallets often can be found lying about wherever waiting for a new home; and may shops and households are often glad (or at least happy) to let you tke them.. If the former than one might be useful to check with the store/shop first of course and maybe the house holder too?

If possible get those mark HT rather than painted blue or whatever; as the former are heat treated to kil off any pest. Whereas the latter are doped with all manner of nasty toxic stuff to the same end. And anything not marked HT ought not to be burned in a wood burner or anywhere else for that matter - due to toxics in their pest control treatment and/or preservation.

A trawl on the web for pallets and how to recycle then will bring up all manner of god stuff; and surprising what some pholks have made from them that looks really top notch in terms of "furntiture..." and/or storage.

Not sure that you can still get creosote. For the dyslexics amongst us there is the confusingly similar Creocote, - not the same, and there is Creoseal as well, which is an oil based substitute. All the useful coal-tar stuff seems to have disappeared, including the original Jeye's Fluid.

Back