help with outside storage for wood sheets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technium

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

As my workshop is tight on space I want to try and build something where I can store either my sheets of ply, mdt etc aswell as storing other wood such as pine so that the bigger pieces are not taking up workshop space.

I am thinking of some kind of enclosed lean to which will go against the workshop but am unsure of the best way to go about it.

I was thinking of maybe a small wooden box made out of pallet wood with an angled roof and then lining the inside with left over dpc to hopefully keep the thing water proof and that will protect the wood from rain, but also is it worth putting air holes near the top under the roof overhang to allow air circulation?

What do you all think, anyone done it for wood other than logs and no doubt you have better ideas than me so what would you suggest?

thanks again

Colin

Ventilation is a good idea , mdf and other sheet goods will absorb moisture quite a bit so you will need to ensure you are watertight.

How about the lean-to type structure you propose with a DPM in the floor and vapour barrier in the walls. Then breakthrough from your workshop to allow the air to circulate and give direct access in the dry from your shop.

thanks guys. I like the idea of cutting through from workshop but having just spent £2k on it the wife would kick off LOL.

thanks again

Colin

You could always build it then have the "bright idea" to knock through later but call it an internal access door which ends up open all the time?

technium":2q7rnclv said:
I was thinking of maybe a small wooden box made out of pallet wood with an angled roof and then lining the inside with left over dpc to hopefully keep the thing water proof and that will protect the wood from rain, but also is it worth putting air holes near the top under the roof overhang to allow air circulation?
I have a wood store/poor-man's solar kiln that's made from a plastic garden storage box (too small for your application I suspect) but there are a couple of holes in the bottom of the rear face (with a mesh to keep out vermin) and another hole at the top of the rear face. In the hole there's a low power 120mm PC fan, directly hooked up to a small solar panel.

From the kiln point of view; during the day the box gets hot (sunlight) and the fan drives out moisture (it pulls air out - so air in through the bottom vents and through the stack). At night the fan stops (solar panel => no light => no fan), and the air moisture inside the kiln condenses on the wood and stops the outside drying too quickly.

It does also seem to prevent stored timber getting moldly; though obviously it would be a much better idea to have separate storage for wet and dry timber, but I lack the space.

Thanks Sploo

ive seen those garden storage boxes and never thought of that so might look into that aswell as I have space for both either side of my workshop doors so that could also help.

cheers

Colin

technium":3kmdizwi said:
Thanks Sploo

ive seen those garden storage boxes and never thought of that so might look into that aswell as I have space for both either side of my workshop doors so that could also help.

cheers

Colin
A dark one will get very hot in good sunlight, and a low energy fan (QuietPC does a few) will run really well hooked up to a small PV panel. Ideal as a poor man's solar kiln :).

The Keter box i have keeps things dry too - no leaks.

Back