Which wheeled base for new Bandsaw - Laguna 14BX

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadoo

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just ordered a Laguna 14BX with a nice Black Friday discount- it was between this and the Axminster AP3327B - I don't have 16A sockets, I liked the footbrake and the more powerful motor so went with the Laguna.

Any advice on what mobile base would be best? There's the Laguna 3 wheeled one or the Axminster heavy duty one, any others? Wondering which is most manoeuvrable and more importantly more stable. Cheers
Dave

Thanks for the feedback.

Are you pleased with the 14BX? It was a tough choice between that and the Axminster AP3327B for similar money.

Only advice I can give is fully test it out and make sure you're happy with it. I ordered an 18bx and spent a year trying to get
Laguna UK to fix the fact it shakes massively when running. The top wheel wasnt machined correctly, still waiting on them to tell me how much a replacement costs as they refuse to accept the machine is faulty. Also bare in mind replacements can take months to arrive as they keep basically nothing in stock, all has to come over from Taiwan. I was maybe just unlucky but their customer service was shockingly bad and dismissive.

I dont know if the laguna wheel base for 18bx is the same for the 14bx but if so I'll happily sell you mine, havent ended up using it.

I think Sabrecut are more for working with greenwood but could be wrong. I’d expect the Fastcut to give the cleaner result of the two but haven’t actually compared it in practice.

Sorry - I’d add that I found Fastcut to be a step up on the Axminster equivalent. In fairness though I’ve stuck with Fastcut as it works for me (for the last three/four years) and Axminster may have innovated their version since.

I think Sabrecut are more for working with greenwood but could be wrong. I’d expect the Fastcut to give the cleaner result of the two but haven’t actually compared it in practice.
Thanks @Blackswanwood I might get one of each then as hopefully I'll be doing both at some point. Tuffsaws prices seem to be very good too.

I have used the Starrett Woodpecker blades and Tuffsaws - both very good. Tuffsaws wins with the advice - second to none and they have a good range of options.

BTW - if you are looking for lighting and want the final product to look a bit like the Laguna saws in the US - this light from Axminster fits perfectly:

1669662872020.png

https://www.axminstertools.com/axmi...7313?queryID=7b3d06701351f9cec9e977d23a109dff
Bolts right into the existing four holes

Bandsaw Light.jpg

Last edited:
The top wheel wasnt machined correctly, still waiting on them to tell me how much a replacement costs as they refuse to accept the machine is faulty. Also bare in mind replacements can take months to arrive as they keep basically nothing in stock, all has to come over from Taiwan. I was maybe just unlucky but their customer service was shockingly bad and dismissive.
I'd just like to correct the comment above, and point out we keep a large amount of Laguna spares in stock in the UK.
We pride ourselves on customer service and aftersales and always do our best to find a resolution.

*I've edited my post to delete my comments on an individual's case.

Thanks to all others in this thread for the positive comments about your machines.
Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
UK version doesn't have the 240v output on the side of it for the lamp unfortunately (the us version does). Or at least the 18x doesnt have it.
Very easily solved - I will have to post up a summary of how I wired my setup.

At the very minimum you can go for cable management (zip ties and mounting blocks) to run the cable over the top of the saw and down the back

1669984894530.png

Last edited:
Very easily solved - I will have to post up a summary of how I wired my setup.

At the very minimum you can go for cable management (zip ties and mounting blocks) to run the cable over the top of the saw and down the back

View attachment 148369
yes, if you have a 240v beside the machine (I dont, just a 16A). Tbh I had no idea uk version omitted the auxillary power - not a huge deal, but annoying.

Tbh I had no idea uk version omitted the auxillary power - not a huge deal, but annoying.
Hi @RobTy, Just for info, I'd have loved it as a feature too & we looked into it in detail before launching, but the CE costs due to the massive extra testing hoops to jump through to add an external power source to a machine unfortunately made it completely unviable as an option.

Cheers,
Nick

Back