Which welding helmet / mask

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
I have now the welding machine, (but it came without a mask)

I am looking for one with the auto darking option to make life easy

so what are the things to watch out for, and is more expensive also better?

Any input is good, as i want to keep the eyes in perfect condition for the fine woodworking :wink:

Mcluma

Hello mate.

There are many different masks on the market. I would avoid the very cheap ebay ones.

A lot of people rate Speedglass masks. Personally i dont, easy to forget to switch them on, and not that much neck protection.

Theres not that much difference in the specs, but things like fixed or variable shade will dramatically change the prices. Also not so sure on the life of a cheap cartridge.

Another thing to remember is the availability of replacement front and inside cover lenses. How easy would it be to buy lenses for a chinese unbranded one from ebay!!??

I have used a Nederman/Esab for years. My current one (with fresh air pack) for about 5 years now. (Thats everyday, heavy duty use) They are available in various options from about £90 to ££££! And lenses are easy to come by. Solar powered, so no batteries or switches...another reason for me to choose these is the available accesories, ear defenders, hardhats, fresh air packs, face seals that can be fitted. Not relevant to your choice i doubt!

I would without doubt reccomend one to you,

http://www.migtigarc.co.uk/Auto_Helmets ... auto_.html
The 10/11 would be ideal.

If you wanted a cheaper option, these, made by parweld are reasonable.
They have niggles, like not a proper seal around the froint cover lense so dirt/ dust can get down onto the lense. But to be honest, if you look after it...and its not going to get heavy duty use...
http://www.rapidwelding.co.uk/633487

Bought a 3M speadglass and by george, this is marvelous :D

you can look through it like a sunglass, but when the welding spark starts it automatically darkens, this is so good.

now just a little bit more practise on the welding itself :? :wink:

I can definitely recommend these automatic helmets

McLuma

A good choice, not my favorite but a proven mask. :)

If you need any tips on the actual welding side you know where to come!!

Back