Which tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KazzaSimo

Reaction score
Can anyone please advise which tool would be best to create things like the images attached? I've done some looking online and thinking bandsaw (would obviously need to be the right size), but would appreciate some advice. Thanks
Image 1.jpg
Image 2.jpg

Attachments

• Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,114
  • Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,114
Anyone recommend a QUIET, diminutive bandsaw (with awesome ability)...cost relatively unimportant :)

You could also do it with a handsaw and a plane...it depends how much work you want to put in vs how much you want to spend.

You don't need a pillar drill really, a cordless/corded hand drill would work fine. The top picture looks like the holes are at odd angles which suggests these were done with a hand drill.

Get hold of a few birch logs and have a crack at it.

Bandsaws are quiet machines. its the cutting of the wood that makes the noise and theres no way round that.

Small bandsaws dont have awesome abilities, sorry, size really does matter. The difference between my first 9 inch and second 14 inch cannot be believed untill tried.

I used a corded power drill in a wolfcraft press for 15 years, just upgraded to a small bench pillar drill, and I am KICKING myself for not doing it 15 years ago The noise difference alone is worth the cost, let alone i have 5 speeds that actually work, rather than an electronic trigger control that was naff from zero to 3/4 speed..

Am I right thinking if the op does go for a bandsaw, a jig's essential for cutting logs like that safely?

There are very expensive custom made jigs, or there is a piece of 12 mm ply screwed to the log to prevent it rolling.
But yes, cutting a round log on a bandsaw unsupported WILL lead to tears before bedtime (and possibly a trip to A&E if you can find one open).

If you want a small(ish) bandsaw but very capable and budget isn't an issue then check out the Axminster trade series. That said for what you want a 250 or 350 hobby series will be fine. Get a decent blade (tough saws).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're not in mass production, I could have that job done with a froe, axe and Scotch eye auger before you'd finished contriving a jig for the bandsaw. And, for me at least, it would be more fun :D

The remark about the fire extinguisher is worth some thought! The material you are proposing to use may be green and not easily ignitable now but what about two years down the line when it's dried out?
Candles as part of table furnishings in candelabra may be fine for a formal dinner, but for mood lighting in a flammable holder they are plain foolish. If for your own use your insurance man may not like you very much, but if made for others your public liability cover may not be adequate.

phil.p":28lqb0nt said:
Ah ... those everyday tools in everyone's workshop ... :lol:

WeIl I have a choice of axes, but no bandsaw or pillar drill. And I suspect that even a nice carpenters axe is cheaper than a bandsaw and easier to find space for ! Still, each to their own, just to say there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Bit random but I had a call out one night to board up a house for the police, there had been a fire caused buy the candles shown in the picture both parents killed and a 4yo boy saved,
That has to be the most stupid idea of a project I think I have ever seen if you make and sell them or give them as a gift think about what I just wrote and ask yourself the question how would you feel if you caused it.

I have used clear Envirograf lacquer that always seems to be specified by arkitect's we work with how affective it is I don't know.

slate1234":108c6w21 said:
I have used clear Envirograf lacquer that always seems to be specified by arkitect's we work with how affective it is I don't know.

Only one way to find out :lol:

Latest posts

Back