Which timbers lend themselves to quartersawing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henning

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been given the opportunity to buy whole logs milled to my specification. This seems to be the only way to get quality wood here in Norway without buying imported, and so i have started to try and figure out what i want.

I have this far managed to make the following list:

1. Oak, quartersawn in 1" and 2" thickness
2. Beech, quartersawn 1", 2" thickness and 4"x4"
3. Maple, Flatsawn in 1" and 2" thickness
4. Elm. Should i get this quartersawn?
5. Ash. Should i get this quartersawn?
In addition to that i will be getting some flatsawn pine slabs to utilize the heartwood.

The deal is i buy the logs, pay for the sawing, and then i am allowed to keep them for airdrying in a shed on the mill. I am guessing i will be able to sell some of it, especially the oak and beech to recover some money.

So, my questions are as follows:

1. As this will be airdried, which am i better off going for quartersawn in?
2. Which hardwoods lend themselves to quartersawing the most? I know oak will be beautiful quartersawn, and i believe so will ash, but what about the others?
3. Am i right in thinking that oak in more than 2" thickness will split a lot if airdried?
4. Is it possible to airdry 4"x4" beech for utilizing in furniture?

I am sorry for the long post and all the questions, and of course my newbieness, i have been googling and also read a lot here but it would still be reassuring to hear what you lot think.

Grateful for any and all answers!

Hi.

I'm not an expert but I think air dried timber is less brittle than KD hence more suitable for carving. Most purists prefer air dried but it takes a lot longer to get its moisture content low enough for use, so it is not economically viable.

I've seen 80mm thick oak air dried, it can split or not. it really depends on the straightness of grain and storage conditions. It helps if the boards ends
are sealed with (for instance) paint.

From the species you've mentioned both beech and oak have those silver patterns whee quarter sawn (beech to a lesser extent).
Ash sometimes gives a ripple effect but not always.
I don't know about elm or maple.

I would try and go for the elm qs as well, but be careful how you stick it for drying. Elm is notorious for warping if it's badly stored (ie in direct sunlight) so having it quarter sawn ought to reduce the risk. Thinking again about it, be sure to stick and store all the wood very carefully...it'll pay dividends. Expect also to air dry it for 1 year per inch of thickness, this will bring it down to around 20% moisture content - Rob

I have reinforce cerdeira's point about sealing the ends. It is imperative. Do it immediately. People use oil paint, latex paint, wax or even glue mixes. What ever is water proof. A soon as the log gets cut from the ground, seal that dung up. It easier to paint the end of the log before it is cut into planks anyhow.

Oh, and avoid red oak like the plague.

Two lessons learnt from experience...

Eoin

Thanks for the answers, gentlemen!

Followup question: Any of this i would be more happy with when flatsawn?

I am thinking especially of the maple which i have seen a few beautiful flatsawn panels of here. Ash maybe?

eoinsgaff":1jh64s5d said:
I have reinforce cerdeira's point about sealing the ends. It is imperative. Do it immediately. People use oil paint, latex paint, wax or even glue mixes. What ever is water proof. A soon as the log gets cut from the ground, seal that dung up. It easier to paint the end of the log before it is cut into planks anyhow.

Oh, and avoid red oak like the plague.

Two lessons learnt from experience...

Eoin

I don't think we have much red oak here?
We have Quercus robur and Quercus petraea and according to Wikipedia they are equally good for furniture?
Am i right in thinking Quercus rubra is red oak?

The logs are cut already so to late to seal straight off the ground, but i will seal them once they are cut and stacked. I will probably be allowed to pick my own, though, so i can probably get the ones with fewer cracks etc. I will be cherry picking for sure.

Latest posts

Back