which table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cacharrao

Reaction score
Hi,

It's my first time posting.

I am looking to purchase a small table saw for a small workshop. I could do with it being portable, I have been looking at the 'Axminster TS200' or the 'Makita MLT100'. I have read past posts but I am still a little bit unsure and was wondering if there are any updated opinions on these machines. The debate I am having with myself is whether or not the induction motor of the TS200 is worth sacrificing the bigger blade of the Makita.
If anyone can offer me any advice at all I would be grateful :D

cacharrao":303mhqz6 said:
Hi,

It's my first time posting.

I am looking to purchase a small table saw for a small workshop. I could do with it being portable, I have been looking at the 'Axminster TS200' or the 'Makita MLT100'. I have read past posts but I am still a little bit unsure and was wondering if there are any updated opinions on these machines. The debate I am having with myself is whether or not the induction motor of the TS200 is worth sacrificing the bigger blade of the Makita.
If anyone can offer me any advice at all I would be grateful :D

Hi Cacharrao, welcome to the forum. As for the saw IMHO I would choose an induction motored saw ever time. On top of that the Axminster gives you a larger ripping width and with the extension an overall table size. I have no doubt that the Makita is a good machine, its just that with the sliding table the TS200 is a more substanial saw.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for very much for the quick response, would you say it is still reasonably portable to put in the back of my van as well as a workshop saw?

cacharrao":dgz8qjaf said:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for very much for the quick response, would you say it is still reasonably portable to put in the back of my van as well as a workshop saw?

Now at 38kg the Makita is almost half the weight of the Axminster (69kg) so what makes the TS200 good in the workshop (the weight for stability) goes against its portability. Its tables are cast iron which would make it unsuitable for carrying around to jobs or site work. This is one of the rare occasions that the Makita beats the Axminster (but this is only my opinion). Thats not to say that you could not move it from job to job if you had help, but I do not think the lugging about would do its accuracy much good.

HTH

Mike

Sorry to hijack this thread, but following on from a little bandsaw advice, I am thinking of either the Makita or the Axminster.
On paper, at least, the Makita has more power and a greater cutting depth - does this not match up to reality? Or does the induction motor of the Axminster have more 'oomph' per Watt than the Makita? (I know a watt is an SI unit, but from audio equipment manufacturers, one watt isnt always the same!)
Similarly, does the extra cutting depth not materialise into reality either?

Cheers,
Adam

Ok, what I meant was that sometimes a manufacturer will say "This amp puts out 100W PMPO" and another will say "Yeah, but ours puts out 100W RMS". They both 'say' they put out 100W, but PMPO and RMS are not the same - a well known marketing ploy to make something look better than it is.
I just wondered if the same 'logic' applies to power output in table saw motors..... And do you get more 'ooomph' per 'induction' watt than you do per 'brush' watt?
Otherwise, it is hard for a newbie like me to compare two different approaches to drive a sharp spinn-y thing :)

Adam

Kalimna":10nfkqoi said:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but following on from a little bandsaw advice, I am thinking of either the Makita or the Axminster.
On paper, at least, the Makita has more power and a greater cutting depth - does this not match up to reality? Or does the induction motor of the Axminster have more 'oomph' per Watt than the Makita? (I know a watt is an SI unit, but from audio equipment manufacturers, one watt isnt always the same!)
Similarly, does the extra cutting depth not materialise into reality either?

Cheers,
Adam

Hi Adam,

No its just a matter of preference. The Makita maybe more powerful and have a bigger depth of cut (although I think the specs are wrong with their claim of 93mm from a 250mm blade, more like 75mm), but IMHO the Axminster makes up for this with a much quieter and longer lasting motor, cast iron tables, bigger tables, larger ripping width, and because of the cast irons weight, a more stable machine. The TS 200 also looks to have a more substantial sliding table and it also has a stand. If the Axminster had a 250mm blade then I would say that the power would make a difference, but with 200mm I think that 1,100W is suitable.

It also depends what you want to use the saw for. As a workshop saw IMHO the Axminster wins hands down, but as a site saw I would go with the Makita.

This is just my opinion, and there will be many other members who disagree.

As for PMOP wattage. I think what you are talking about is RMS and Peak Power. When manufacturers give the ratings of their speakers or amps they will often make wild claims of the the items Peak Power. But this is only the maximum power the product will handle for a short period of time and bears no resemblance to the real world power. Whereas the RMS figure is the power that will go through it continually with no problem at all.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike,
That really answers my question in a succinct and clear fashion. I think I am sold on the Axminster. As I mentioned earlier, my problem (well, one of them anyway!) is that I have little experience with, and almost no opportunity to see these machines in the flesh. Consequently it's very hard to do a meaningful comparison between different machines. The catalogues and websites only tell part of the story, and never "Well, this is the one that I would use if it was in my workshop" type information.
That's where this forum is fantastic - very knowledgeable folk freely giving out help. Even when the questions are repeated many times over in different forms, by different newbies!

Cheers, now it's back into the garage to carry on with a rippled maple and rosewood chessboard :)
Adam

Kalimna,
I have to agree with Mike and suggest the Ax ts200, yes you would be sacrificing 18mm ( if that is truly the case) of cutting depth, 93mm cutting depth from a 250mm blade means that saw table is pretty thin, but cast iron tables and an induction motor more than make up for this in my opinion, besides brushed motors (Makita mtl100 ) really do scream, you will live with it for a while until the "novelty" of your new saw has faded , then you`ll wish to god you bought the Ax ts200 in the first place...

Croppyboy? bought MTL 100 same time last year, have a read and see how he got on with it, heres the link for your veiwing: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=319165

HTH

Kalimna":aaf2mynn said:
Thanks Mike,
That really answers my question in a succinct and clear fashion. I think I am sold on the Axminster. As I mentioned earlier, my problem (well, one of them anyway!) is that I have little experience with, and almost no opportunity to see these machines in the flesh. Consequently it's very hard to do a meaningful comparison between different machines. The catalogues and websites only tell part of the story, and never "Well, this is the one that I would use if it was in my workshop" type information.
That's where this forum is fantastic - very knowledgeable folk freely giving out help. Even when the questions are repeated many times over in different forms, by different newbies!

Cheers, now it's back into the garage to carry on with a rippled maple and rosewood chessboard :)
Adam

Hi Adam, I do not know what these guys are like, but they are not far from you, so it might be worth popping over and taking a look at what they have got.

http://www.ney.co.uk/machines/home.htm

Cheers

Mike

Just a quick point from me - do you really need the saw to be site portable?

I was in a similair situation a couple of years ago. I ended up choosing the Metabo 250, a "site" saw, so similair to the Makita you mention.

I now regret my purchase - I should have saved up an extra couple of hundred quid and bought a proper cabinet saw like the SIP. I haven't taken the Metabo out of the workshop since I bought it.

Just another perspective.

Cheers

Karl

Thanks guys for all the opinions, they are helping.
Just to elaborate on what Karl has said, I do understand that it would be beneficial to invest a little more into a cabinet saw, which I do plan to do in the near future. At the moment I haven't the space so therefore need to purchase a saw which will then become a second saw in the future, possibly for site work as I am a boat builder. This is why I am considering the portability factor.

Thanks for the advice - more and more it seems the Axminster is the way to go.
Mike - yes, thats what I meant about PMPo/RMS etc. I realise that in scientific terms, 1W = 1W no matter what the watt is!!!
Also, I had a quick at that weblink you mentioned - from what I could gather, most if not all of their machines run off a 3 phase supply. Not what I have in a modern house :(

And whilst I would love to have a floor-styanding cabinet saw, here is a piccy of my workshop/garage, taken from the front. If you could suggest somewhere for it to go, I am all ears :)
It would have to fit alongside the lathe, pillar drill, bandsaw, bench, wshing machine, double fridgefreezer, tumble drier, drum sander Axminster P/T, wood, dust extractor and two bikes that have to be moved outside if I do any work in there :)

IMG_4738.jpg

Cheers :)
Adam

Kalimna":qxj6lbck said:
Thanks for the advice - more and more it seems the Axminster is the way to go.
Mike - yes, thats what I meant about PMPo/RMS etc. I realise that in scientific terms, 1W = 1W no matter what the watt is!!!
Also, I had a quick at that weblink you mentioned - from what I could gather, most if not all of their machines run off a 3 phase supply. Not what I have in a modern house :(

And whilst I would love to have a floor-styanding cabinet saw, here is a piccy of my workshop/garage, taken from the front. If you could suggest somewhere for it to go, I am all ears :)
It would have to fit alongside the lathe, pillar drill, bandsaw, bench, wshing machine, double fridgefreezer, tumble drier, drum sander Axminster P/T, wood, dust extractor and two bikes that have to be moved outside if I do any work in there :)

IMG_4738.jpg

Cheers :)
Adam

I see what you mean Adam, not much room. Although I could take the drum sander off your hands so that you had a tad more space.

As for the link I realise that most of their machines are 3 phase and out of our price ranges, but my main reason for pointing it out to you is because often these companies still hold a small range of hobby machines, or even decent second hand ones which they have taken as a trade in when someone has upgraded.

You said about seeing these machines in the flesh, well Glasgow isn't that far from you, and they have a number of decent machine outlets including The Saw Centre http://www.thesawcentre.co.uk/store/home.php and these have a couple of machines that would be ideal, and the best thing is one of them is the Kity 419, which just happend's to be the saw that Axminster's TS 200 is a clone of. http://www.thesawcentre.co.uk/store/pro ... 124&page=1 As you see its double the price, (but whether its double the saw I do not know), but my point being this will give you an excellent idea of what the Axminster will feel like, and whether the size will fit your workshop.

They also have the Scheppach 2010, which although more expensive again will give you some idea of what else is out there. http://www.thesawcentre.co.uk/store/pro ... 124&page=1

If you Google theres bound to be other outlets around Glasgow, or why not try Dunfermline because thats even nearer?

HTH

Mike

Mike - thank you for yet more helpful info. I shall contact the place in Stirling and see if they have anything that would be suitable. I have no problems owning reconditioned/2nd user equipment.

And whilst your offer is rather gracious, I feel it would upset the feng-shui of my workshop to remove the drum sander :)

I shall also pop into the Saw Centre next time Im in Glasgow and do a google around Dunfermline.

Cheers,
Adam

Kalimna":t84x8gj4 said:
Mike - thank you for yet more helpful info. I shall contact the place in Stirling and see if they have anything that would be suitable. I have no problems owning reconditioned/2nd user equipment.

And whilst your offer is rather gracious, I feel it would upset the feng-shui of my workshop to remove the drum sander :)

I shall also pop into the Saw Centre next time Im in Glasgow and do a google around Dunfermline.

Cheers,
Adam

Look Adam I wish that you "Newbies" would stop pretending that you know everything, and take the gracious help and advice from us old hands. Your Feng is being disturbed by the pressure of the sandpaper as it touches the wood, and your Shui is the swaying and dizziness you will be feeling after I nut you on my way out of the door of your workshop with drum sander in tow. (hammer) So wouldn't it just be easier to pack it up and postage paid send it over to the North East coast. You also realise don't you that all the dust it produces will rust your cast iron Axminster in no time at all :^o

By the way did you see the Kity in the link, exactly the same as the Axminster, so IMHO it will be an excellent little saw.

Cheers

Mike

Heh heh heh :)

Well, it does create a lot of dust..... But then again, *very* handy for sharpening pencils, so I htink I shall just hang onto it. And anyway, if the recent somewhat damp Clackmannanshire weather hasn't rusted the tables of the bandsaw or P/T yet, then Im sure the TS will be fine with a little sawdust :) Tho, if you fancy p/ex with one of those funky new oscillating beasties, you have yourself a deal!

Yes, I did notice the Kity - same spec, apart from the cost! Is it really the same machine, rebadged, as the Axminster?

Cheers,
Adam

Kalimna":32ydwug8 said:
Heh heh heh :)

Well, it does create a lot of dust..... But then again, *very* handy for sharpening pencils, so I htink I shall just hang onto it. And anyway, if the recent somewhat damp Clackmannanshire weather hasn't rusted the tables of the bandsaw or P/T yet, then Im sure the TS will be fine with a little sawdust :) Tho, if you fancy p/ex with one of those funky new oscillating beasties, you have yourself a deal!

Yes, I did notice the Kity - same spec, apart from the cost! Is it really the same machine, rebadged, as the Axminster?

Cheers,
Adam

Oscillating sander done :idea: :idea: I have the little Jet JBOS-5 http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=44 when can I come and do a swop :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

As for the Kity, there is a good chance that its the same machine rebadged, I mean SIP, ITECH, FOX and Axminster have the same 10" table saw, and if you look at the Kity and Axminster they look almost exactly the same.

Cheers

Mike

Back