Which Scrollsaw to buy or avoid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO the most dangerous machine in most workshops is the band saw, my reason for saying so is that it does not look dangerous! They run very quietly and are fairly vibration free plus the blade hardly looks like it's doing anything, many people have lost fingers by 'swiping' bit's of wood off the table not noticing the saw is running.

Thicknessers and spindle moulders look and sound fearsome so people do take more care with them.

scrimper":b3d7vyf0 said:
IMHO the most dangerous machine in most workshops is the band saw, my reason for saying so is that it does not look dangerous! They run very quietly and are fairly vibration free plus the blade hardly looks like it's doing anything, many people have lost fingers by 'swiping' bit's of wood off the table not noticing the saw is running.

Thicknessers and spindle moulders look and sound fearsome so people do take more care with them.

Yes and if the blade is running at a speed to strobe with AC lighting, it will appear to be stationary, the same thing can happen with lathe and pillar/bench drill chucks, polishers, grinders, etc,etc, not normally a problem in the home workshop as you can hear them running, but in a noisy commercial shop it can be a problem.

As you say a correctly set up band saw runs quiet.

A band saw is a next possible purchase, maybe I should start learning to count to ten, without using all my fingers. :shock:

Take care.

Chris R.

Is the Clarke CLARKE 18" SCROLL SAW any good? I have been offered a SIP but not convinced

Any ideas

The cost of tools in France makes me sweat!

jackal":1brxhz0r said:
Is the Clarke CLARKE 18" SCROLL SAW any good? I have been offered a SIP but not convinced

Any ideas

The cost of tools in France makes me sweat!

I can't find a manual for the Clarke so I can't be 100% sure, but looking at photos, it looks to me like it is pinned blades only. I'm assuming it is the CS518 model as it's the only 18" Clarke scroll saw I could find.

Which model SIP have you been offered?

Martin.

Hi

Looked at the SIP and its just like a lot of those chinese imports and awful blade clamps. Been offered a SCHEPPACH DECO 405 which seem ok for 150e what do you think or should I avoid it?

Thanks for the replies

Back